Government has given the Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) one billion shillings ahead of the two remaining World Cup qualifying matches against Ghana and Congo Brazzaville.
This follows the request letter for funding forwarded to the President on August 22.
And, in a plenary sitting chaired by Speaker Rebecca Kadaga, the State Minister for Sports Charles Bakkabulindi told the House that his ministry has mobilized Shs700m of the Shs839m which remained outstanding in the a game against Egypt. He added that the ministry will also wire Shs 300m to the FUFA account today as they prepare for the game against Ghana on Saturday.
“The Ministry received a request from FUFA of Shs481m for the Ghana game on Saturday, we are first going to give them Shs 300m, as the ministry prepares to meet FUFA after Ghana’s game to discuss better ways of addressing other funding issues,” Bakkabulindi said.
Last week FUFA boss Moses Magogo said the Federation needs US$500, 000 for the remaining two qualifiers against Ghana and Congo Brazzaville.
Meanwhile, the FUFA letter to Museveni has irked bureacrats in the Ministry of Education and Sports, with the Permanent Secretary Alex Kakooza expressing bitterness in a September 13 letter to Magogo for ‘undermining’ the ministry and National Council of Sports by writing directly to the President.
PS Kakooza also demanded for accountability of the all the funds Magogo has been receiving since he became FUFA President in 2012. “He has to account for the money received at the entry gates for all the Uganda Cranes games played,” Mr. kakooza said.