KAMPALA,-Super-brands East Africa, an affiliate of London-based Super-brands UK, has today May 26, announced Uganda’s top 20 brands that have joined the league of super brands for 2015/16. Super-brands is the world’s largest independent arbiter of branding and it identifies and pays tribute to exceptional brands by recognizing, rewarding and reinforcing leading brands from all over the world.
The research incorporated the views of both an expert council and over 1000 consumers; the latter surveyed in Uganda by TNS RMS, and sought to identify the nation’s strongest brands.
Rwenzori, Sadolin Paints, and MTN Uganda took the first, second and third place respectively, according to the consumer vote results. Ten brands retained their top 20 positions from the last survey, showing the enduring strength of leading brands and the difficulties faced by rivals in trying to overcome the incumbent’s reputational strength. Some of the new entrants are Sadolin Paints (2nd), Fresh Dairy (5th), Mountain Dew (14th), Serena Hotels and Resort (8th), Uganda Waragi (13th), among others.
Those who dropped out of the top 20 are National Insurance Corporation, Bell Lager, Dettol, Bata, Daily Monitor, Shoprite, Warid Telecom, Radio One, Vaseline, and Bidco Uganda.
Mr Jawad Jaffer, Super-brands East Africa Project Director, noted that more than 400 brands from more than 28 different sectors were considered and as always the East African public had the final say.
“The results provide a detailed and robust barometer of brand success and performance with the overall and category winners justifiably proud of their performance in this competitive process. It is good to see that at least half of the brands that were among the top 20 remained competitive to again feature in the recent results,” he added at the unveiling event at the Serena Kampala Hotel.
According to Christine Mueni of TNS RMS, a Super-brand is a brand that represents high quality, reliability and distinction. In addition Super-brands are deemed to have established the finest reputation in their field, they offer customers significant emotional and/or tangible advantages over other brands, which (consciously or sub-consciously) customers want and recognize.
The official top 20 Ugandan Consumer Super-brands:
1. Rwenzori (drinks –non-alcoholic) – 100.00
2. Sadolin paints (household-general and adolin paints – 88.02
3. MTN (TELECOMMUNICATIONS, INTERNET & BROADBAND) – 86.98
4. NAKUMATT (RETAIL – SUPERMARKETS, GROCERS) – 84.87
5. FRESH DAIRY (DAIRY DRINKS, MILK & CREAM) – 84.52
6. MTN MOBILE MONEY (FINANCIAL – GENERAL) – 84.21
7. NTV (MEDIA – TV STATIONS) – 84.21
8. SERENA HOTELS AND RESORTS (HOTELS & RESORTS) – 83.70
9. PANADOL (PHARMACEUTICAL) -82.46
10. COCA-COLA (CARBONATED SOFT DRINKS) – 80.51
11. MAKERERE UNIVERSITY (EDUCATION PROVIDERS) – 77.21
12. OMO (HOUSEHOLD – CLEANING PRODUCTS) – 75.86
13. UGANDA WARAGI (DRINKS – ALCOHOLIC – SPIRITS) – 75.50
14. MOUNTAIN DEW (CARBONATED SOFT DRINKS) – 74.37
15. NOKIA (HOUSEHOLD – APPLIANCES & ELECTRONICS) – 73.10
16. BUKEDDE (MEDIA – NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES) – 72.18
17. TOTAL (OIL & GAS) – 71.96
18. NEW VISION (MEDIA – NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES) – 71.20
19. MUKWANO COOKING OIL (FOOD – COOKING FATS) – 70.76
20. BLUEBAND (FOOD – GENERAL) – 70.40