Gen. Aronda pipping President Museveni.


Gen. Aronda pipping President Museveni.
Gen. Aronda pipping President Museveni.


President Yoweri Museveni has said that his government is busy trying to establish the death of his Interior Minister.

Stories Continues after ad

Speaking to the family of departed former Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) Gen. Aronda Nyakairima at Buziga, Museveni said what came to mind—as the cause— on hearing of Nyakairima’s death was an accident “because he (Aronda) had been a well-disciplined officer.”

“I received news of Gen. Aronda’s death the other day when I arrived in India; my immediate thinking was maybe it was an accident. I didn’t know he had any medical problem.

“Because when we came from the bush, many died of AIDS but Aronda was disciplined, he survived. He died on plane coming from South Korea. We are busy finding cause of his death, but that will not bring him back, it is very sad”.

President Museveni who is also the commander in chief of armed forces said Aronda together with few others helped him start afresh and rebuild the country.

He noted that his demise is a big loss.

“It was an untimely death at 56yrs. He helped with the ID Project, it was stuck but he moved it”.

Gen. Museveni observed that by a mere fact that Gen. Aronda travelled with a delegation to South Korea, it was easy to establish what really happened along the way and this would help trace what could have killed his Minister.

“From the people here, it shows who Aronda was. At first, I thought he had travelled alone. I was relieved to learn he was with four or five people. It makes it easier to ask what went on,” he said, adding that he will say more during the funeral.

The President was accompanied by the First Lady Hon. Janet Museveni and First daughter Natasha Karugire.

Gen. Aronda died on Saturday night while on the airplane from South Korea where he had led a delegation. It is said that while trying to serve him snacks on the plane, the airhostess discovered him dead.

After being confirmed dead, government dispatched a delegation of pathologists to United Arab Emirates to join other team of pathologists to carry out tests on the remains of the minister in order to establish the cause of his sudden death.