Dr Kizza Besigye at one of his campaign rallies

Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) presidential candidate Rtd Col. Kizza Besigye and his Go Forward counterpart John Patrick Amama Mbabazi have denounced the recent announcement by the Electoral Commission (EC) banning phones at Polling Stations.

At a press briefing held yesterday morning at his home in Kasangati, Besigye argued that the country was past the 1980s and questioned the recent regulation that bars phones from polling stations.
“Kiggundu has no legal background to ban mobile phones. He has no powers to pass a decree through press conferences,” Besigye said.

He noted that camera phones are tools of surveillance that will be used to monitor irregularities in the polls. “Camera phones are great deterrent to those who want to rig polls,” he said.

Reiterating his defiance campaign, he called upon all those with phones to use them at the polls.
“Record and share the results and occurrences at the polling stations,” Besigye urged his supporters.

The FDC flag bearer further called upon EC to clarify about the discrepancies in the register. He observed that the registers they were issued with were not updated and still had the 20,000 ghost voters. “Let EC come out and show us those that were removed and their polling stations,” he tasked the EC

Besigye finalised his 2016 Presidential Campaigns with rallies in Nakawa, Banda and Luzira areas.
This is after police stopped him from holding rallies in the city centre. One person died and over 22 people were imprisoned.
Meanwhile, his Go Forward counterpart Mbabazi had earlier also told his supporters that there is no law that bars anyone carrying a phone to a polling centre, and urged them to ignore the EC directive.
Elections are set for tomorrow, Thursday February 18.