Part of the cargo seized at Mombasa port with suspected cocaine./ Courtesy Photo

It is almost a month and Uganda Police authorities are still silent about claims that the US$3 million cocaine haul seized at the Mombasa port on July 27 was destined for Uganda.

According to an investigation by a Kenyan daily, The Star, the narcotics worth Uganda shillings 11 billion was destined to ‘Mshalle Commodities’, Bugolobi Industrial Area, Uganda.

Sources that sought anonymity said that the drugs might have been loaded in Oman. The vessel left the Port of Santos in Brazil on June 10, 2016, and a bill of lading obtained by The Star – printed on July 29 2016 from the Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) – stated that the vessel carrying the drugs, MSC Letizia V. SS621R, had been loaded with 18 by 20 containers among others, each containing 520 bags of ‘brown sugar’.

The investigations indicate that MSC Letizia V. SS621R allegedly docked in Oman and the cargo was loaded onto MSC Posetano which then docked at the Port City of Mombasa, berth number 16, on July 27, 2016.

By July 31, the same ship that delivered the consignment was reported to be missing from the port.

Uganda Police are yet to make any statement over the seizure and those interrogated in connection to the shell company, Mshalle commodities. Outgoing Police spokesperson Fred Enanga last week did not answer any questions about the cocaine haul and their alleged destination.

However, a fortnight ago, Uganda’s Mombasa consular for Trade and investment Tayebwa Katureebe said no one had launched a complaint with his office regarding the drugs.