PARDONED: Red Pepper Directors and Editors in the dock. Their case was adjourned to February 14.

Buganda Road Grade One magistrate Samuel Kagoda has today adjourned the hearing of a case against eight Red Pepper Directors and journalists, after trial magistrate James Ereemye Mawanda, failed to turn up.

The eight were arrested in November over the publication of a story which indicated that President Yoweri Museveni wanted to cause the overthrow of the Rwandan government led by President Paul Kagame.

Subsequently, they were charged with offensive communication, defamation and ‘disturbing the peace’ of President Yoweri Museveni, his brother General Caleb Akandwanaho aka Salim Saleh and the Minister for Security Lt. Gen. Henry Tumukunde.

Stories Continues after ad

And, appearing before court this morning, prosecution led by Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) lawyer Abdulsalaam Waiswa asked for more time to introduce substantial evidence that will comprehensively lead to the conviction of the suspects.

However, defence lawyer Dennis Nyombi, said expressed dismay, saying the case had been adjourned several times.

“Last year prosecution asked for two more weeks to file their evidence but until now they are asking for more time, Nyombi said, adding: “These ex parte orders should stop, the accused persons have a right for fair representation on all matters concerning them”.

The case against the accused persons was adjourned to February 14.

In December last year, the eight were granted bail by Magistrate Kagoda, who said he had instructions from his supervisor, Buganda Road Court Chief Magistrate Ereemye Mawanda.

 

Website | + posts