bobi wine and kibalama

The High Court Judge Musa Sekaana has summoned the founder of the National Unity Reconciliation and Development Party (NURDP) that has since evolved into the National Unity Platform (NUP), Mzee Nkonge Kibalama for cross examination.

Last month, former NURDP members, Basile Difas and Hassan Twaha dragged Mzee Kibalama and other individuals to court for selling the party to Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine and later changing its name and leadership.

The two are needed to pronounce themselves about changing their affidavits in the case brought against them. The two had sworn and signed affidavits that the party leadership and the name were changed after delegates’ conference which occurred in Kakiri.

Stories Continues after ad

Appearing before court earlier today, Kyagulanyi’s legal team led by Lubega Medard Sseggona learnt that the two changed their affidavits and instructed another lawyer to represent them.

In the new affidavits, Nkonge said: “I wish to categorically state that the meeting never took place. What happened was that nine people including myself, William Odinga Balikuddembe, , Winston Kigozi,, Robert Kyagulanyi, ,Fred Nyanzi Ssentamu , Flavia Kalule, Benjamin Katana, Joel Ssenyonyi and Nubian Li sat and we approved the new party leaders headed by the second respondent(Kyagulanyi) as the party president.”

This prompted Sseggona to ask for summoning of the Mzee Nkonge for cross examination.

He said Bobi Wine called 41 other people to sign the attendance list without holding a delegates conference and filed the false minutes and resolutions with the Electoral Commission.

In a recorded video, Kibalama threatened to reclaim NUP from Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine for failure to fulfill his pledge of $5million.

Nkonge averred that a section of NURDP met Bobi Wine after he failed to register a political. “We were 41 members who agreed on principle to change NURDP to NUP for villagers or lay men to easily grasp the name and change its leadership but we didn’t sell it to him,” he said.

The case has been adjourned to Friday, 25th September 2020.