Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
19.3 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 1906

Govt extends SIM card registration

SIM CARD REGISTRATION SUSPENDED: PM Ruhakana Rugunda's letter announcing the suspension of the SIM Card registration exercise.

The government has suspended the seven-day ultimatum for the registration of SIM cards that was announced by the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) last week.

According to a release by the Government Interactive Centre (UGIC), the government has decided to extend the exercise by one month, to May 19.

REVIEW EXERCISE: PM Ruhakana Rugunda makes a presentation on SIM card registration yesterday. The exercise has been suspended.

Yesterday Prime Minister Dr. Ruhakana Rugunda, while weighing in on the issue that has since become contentious, said government would review the UCC directive.

“At the close of the deadline, we shall assess and advise. Make every effort to meet and beat the deadline for the SIM Card verification exercise,” he said.

The development comes as the High Court was today expected to hear an application by ‘Jobless Brotherhood’ leader Norman Tumuhimbise, seeking to block the re-registration process before the given a Thursday deadline by the UCC.

Tumuhimbise, who had sued the UCC jointly with Rights Trumpet Limited, is no stranger to controversy and first came to the limelight in 2015 when he led a shadowy umbrella group, the Jobless Brotherhood, to drop piglets coloured in yellow, the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) colour, at Parliament.

 

Stories Continues after ad

UPC wants SIM card registration ultimatum revoked

ADVISED UCC: UPC national Chairman Lawrence Okae

The National Chairperson of Uganda People’s Congress (UPC) Lawrence Okae has called for unconditional extension of the SIM card registration process by at least two months.

According to Mr. Okae, the directive by Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) to have all SIM cards registered in seven days had caused unnecessary confusion in the public, with many complaining that people use only their National Identity Cards for registration.

“The directive has raised tension among Ugandans without national IDs because it is the only document that is required for one to re-register his or her SIM card,” Okae said, before ‘advising government to think out of the box’.

“The party takes this as unfairness because most of the Ugandans have not been considered; a good example is of those abroad; most of them have not yet received their national IDs. Due to hectic nature of registration, most of them went unregistered,” Mr. Okae said, and urged the UCC to consider allowing other identification documents like Passports and Driving Permits for registration.

Last week the UCC directed all telecom companies to disconnect all subscribers whose SIM cards will not registered by tomorrow, Thursday April, 20.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Stella Nyanzi: Children denied access to mother

DENIED ACCESS: Dr. Stella Nyanzi's children and relatives wait to be cleared to see her.

Today marks the 12th day Makerere University researcher Dr Stella Nyanzi is in detention for allegedly calling President Yoweri Museveni a ‘pair of buttocks’.

A convoy of vehicles carrying people who wanted to see Dr. Stella Nyanzi

But ever since Nyanzi’s arrest, none of her three children has seen her because as the long-awaited day to visit her came, they were blocked by prison officials.

Indeed, daughter, Baraka, 11, and her twin brothers Wasswa and Kato accompanied by relatives and activists went to Luzira prison Wednesday morning to visit Dr.Nyanzi as early as 8am but they were stopped.

“We are blocked together with Dr. Stella Nyanzi’s children! The prison warders say they are waiting for orders from above before they let us in! All the other visitors are being allowed in; save for those who have come to see Nyanzi!” Makerere University LC 5 Woman Councillor, Doreen Nyanjura wrote on social media early morning.

And by 1pm, they still hadn’t been let in.

“Still Blocked! We are over 30 people, we have all come to see Dr Stella Nyanzi, we have been at the first entrance of Luzira Women’s gate since 9;00am! Stella Nyanzi doesn’t have a right to receive visitors; not even her children! Who is this ‘above’ that stops children who haven’t seen their mother in over a fort night from accessing her? What has this nation come to? Wednesday is an open day for visitation for all prisoners in Luzira, why can’t Stella see her people?”

By press time it was not possible to get comment from the Prisons spokesperson Frank Baine.

Nyanzi was arrested about two weeks back as she left MacKinnon Suites where she had been addressing a workshop organized by Rotary Uganda.

Two charges were brought against her, with the first count being that ‘Dr Nyanzi on January 28, 2017 at Kampala District or thereabout used a computer to post on her Facbook page ‘Stella Nyanzi’ wherein she made a suggestion or proposal referring to His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni as among others ‘a pair of buttocks’ which suggestion/ proposal is obscene or indecent’.

In the second count, prosecution states that Dr Nyanzi ‘between January 2017 and march 2017 in Kampala district wilfully and repeatedly used electronic communication to post messages offensive in nature via Facebook, transmitted over the internet to disturb or attempted to disturb the peace, quiet or right of privacy of His Excellency the President of Uganda, Yoweri Kaguta Museveni with no purpose of legitimate communication’.

She denied both charges.

Magistrate James Ereemye remanded her to Luzira prison until April 25 when her bail application is expected to be heard.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Kampala Central MP Nsereko held, released

PROTEST: kampala Central MP Muhammad Nsereko joins city traders to protest against Chinese and Indian traders engaged in petty business in the city. Photos/NBS

The police has temporarily held Kampala Central Member of Parliament Muhammad Nsereko over the city traders strike against Chinese and increments in rent.

Nsereko, who was later released, had joined the Nakasero market traders who sought to know how some Chinese and Indians acquire the requisite documentation to work in Uganda ‘despite the high unemployment rates’.

“We have plenty of Indians and Chinese doing jobs Ugandans should be doing,” Nsereko said adding that they had started up an operation code-named ‘Operation Wajjya Otya’, literary meaning ‘operation how did you come’ to ensure only legitimate Chinese and Indians stay and do business in Kampala.

Meanwhile, Nsereko also rubbished the ongoing exercise to re-register SIM Cards, saying it was an effort in futility, carried out without taking into consideration the prevailing circumstances.

“The only problem is that you make decisions in comfort of your swinging chairs and forget the reality,” he said, adding: “These guys are absolutely out of touch with the people on ground. Their arrogance is unacceptable.”

According to Nsereko, the registration is also inconsequential in as far as security is concerned. “Issuing of national IDs and SIM card registration will not curb these kifeesi guys who break into houses,” he said.

He added: “People are using unregistered numbers from different countries through roaming. Police are trying to curb nothing here.”

Meanwhile, the High Court is expected to hear an application by ‘Jobless Brotherhood’ leader Norman Tumuhimbise, through which he is seeking to block the re-registration process, given a Thursday deadline by the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC). Tumuhimbise, who sued the UCC jointly with Rights Trumpet Limited, is no stranger to controversy and first came to the limelight in 2015 when he led a shadowy umbrella group, the Jobless Brotherhood, to drop piglets coloured in yellow, the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) colour, at Parliament.

Stories Continues after ad

Kenyan-born Australian wins Senate seat

Family First’s Lucy Gichuhi has been confirmed as South Australia’s new senator despite a late challenge by Labor.

The High Court, sitting as the Court of Disputed Returns, on Wednesday declared the Family First candidate was duly elected.

Labor had wanted to challenge Ms Gichuhi’s eligibility on the grounds there were issues about her Kenyan citizenship after she became an Australian citizen, but the court said it came too late.

Ms Gichuhi won the special recount of the South Australian senate vote last week.

The recount was prompted when the High Court ruled former Family First senator Bob Day had been ineligible to stand at the 2016 federal election.

 

Stories Continues after ad

DP to review national registrar as it moves to enforce party discipline

DP President Norbert Mao

The Democratic Party will tomorrow April 20, hold a National Executive Committee (NEC) to find ways of enforcing discipline and also to review the party register.

According to DP President Norbert Mao, there are so many people purporting to be party members yet they are not registered.

“Deliberations will elaborate on discipline of members, clear description of offenses and also draft the rules since none is provided for in the Constitution,” Mao, who was addressing a press conference, said.

Mao also said that the NEC is expected to generate a constituency- based register, adding that membership cards will be coded and life time membership will be regulated, with branches recommending to NEC all those to become lifetime members in the categories of Gold, Silver and Bronze.

NEC, he said, will also appoint a date for the siting of the National Council despite calls for its convening by some party adherents.

“Those demanding for the National Council meeting are just ignorant of the DP Constitution and how it works,” he said.

Intriguingly, Mao said Uganda is not ‘a normal country’, rife with intrigue that borders on nepotism.

“If it was I would be the President of Uganda by now. The central region has too much politics of deal-making but as duly elected leaders; give us a chance to exercise our mandate

 

Stories Continues after ad

PJ Powers in Uganda to shoot video with Radio and Weasel

Legendary African pop star, PJ Powers

Following their collabo with legendary US rapper Snoop Dogg, East Africa’s dynamic duo Radio and Weasel has secured yet another collabo with legendary African pop star, PJ Powers, thanks to their management label, Content Africa.

The duo has featured on the remix of one of PJ Powers’ hit. The audio is already out and the South African singer is in the country for the shooting of the video, which starts tomorrow.

Legendary South African singer PJ Powers

Speaking to journalists, the ‘Jabulani’ hit maker, who will spend seven days in Uganda, said she chose Radio and Weasel because their style blends in so well with her style.

“Music comes from the heart. And when I listened to their songs, they fit in so well with my style. I really liked their plenty plenty song….”

Content Africa, which manages Radio and Weasel’s said it was easier to arrange a collabo between Radio and Weasel and PJ Powers because the artistes are signed to their label.

Meanwhile, PJ Powers will be headlining Girls Up Charity Concert in June this year.

 

 

Stories Continues after ad

World gets ‘new oldest person’

NEW OLDEST PERSON: 117-year old Jamaican Violet Brown

A 117-year-old Jamaican woman has now claimed the title of the oldest living person after the death of Emma Morano over the weekend.

Ms Morano, from Italy, was the oldest human in the world when she died, also aged 117, on Saturday.

And, according to Gerontology Research Group, her place has been taken by Violet Brown from Jamaica.

Jamaica’s Prime Minister, Andrew Holness, tweeted a congratulatory message to Ms Brown, who turned 117 last month.

He wrote: “The world’s oldest human is Jamaican Violet Brown, who was born on March 10, 1900. Congrats Violet.”

DECEASED: Former ‘Oldest Person’ Emma Morano who died at the weekend blows a cake for her 117th Birthday

Before her death, Emma Morano, who was born on November 29, 1899, was the last surviving person to be born in the 1800s.

She put her longevity down to genetics – her mother lived to 91 and several sisters lived to 100 – and being single after choosing to kick out her abusive husband in 1938.

Ms Morano also said her health was due to eating three eggs a day – two of them raw – which she started doing after being diagnosed with anaemia shortly after the First World War.

She died on Saturday in her home in the city of Verbania, northern Italy, according to local media.

After Violet Brown, the second third oldest people are Japanese women, Nabi Tajima and Chiyo Miyako, who were born in 1900 and 1901.

 

Stories Continues after ad

South Africa’s PJ Powers to perform in Uganda

TO PERFORM HERE: Legendary South African musician Penelope Jane Dunlop, popularly known as PJ Powers, addresses fans.

Legendary South African musician Penelope Jane Dunlop, popularly known as PJ Powers, will be performing in Uganda in June this year.

We can authoritatively write, that the ‘Jabulani’ hit maker will be performing in Kampala at a charity event organised by Girls Up Uganda, an NGO.

Addressing journalists at Sheraton Hotel in Kampala today, PJ Powers said she accepted to grace the Girl Up Uganda event because she had been touched by its founder’s story.

“I am not going to be paid for this but I was so touched by Monica’s (founder Girl Up) story. How a person like her would rise from the slums to one of the best universities in the world and now back to helping other girls. When she reached me, I welcomed the idea of being part of the event because this is one of the ways I could give back to the people of Uganda,” she said.

She added: “Reflecting on an amusing memory from a previous trip to Uganda, I love this country! It’s about 14 years since I was here. I really loved the country and Ugandans have always been loyal to me. Not that the rest of Africans don’t love me, they do but in all countries I have been to, Ugandans were most loyal to me. They helped my music career and this the best way I can give back.”

PJ’s first musical group was an all-girl band called Pantha. About a year later she joined Jimslip which in time became the famous ‘Hotline’. Hotline disbanded in 1987, after which PJ Powers pursued a solo career.

The year 1988 saw PJ banned from radio and TV for a year by the apartheid government for her performance at a charity concert for war orphans in Zimbabwe, together with Miriam Makeba and Harry Belafonte.

She was encouraged to continue her singing by Nelson Mandela, who sent her an encouraging letter from Victor Verster Prison in Cape Town.

In 1995, her recording of the Rugby World Cup official song featuring Ladysmith Black Mambazo, ‘World in Union’, reached no. 47 on the UK Singles Chart. She performed the song live at the opening of the 1995 Rugby World Cup in Cape Town for a worldwide television audience.

In the ’90s, her music took on a more Afro-pop focus, finding a receptive audience in the black market, who gave her the nickname, “Thandeka” — “the loved one”.

Some of her biggest hits include; Feel So Strong, You’re So Good to Me, There is an Answer, Home to Africa and Jabulani.

Her show in Uganda is slated for June 30, at Serena Conference center.

 

 

Stories Continues after ad

UK to hold ‘snap’ elections in June over Brexit quagmire

Theresa May makes the shock announcement from Downing Street on Tuesday (PA)

UK Prime Minister Theresa May has called a snap general election on June 8, claiming that divisions at Westminster risked hampering the Brexit negotiations.

The Prime Minister will require the support of two-thirds of MPs to go to the country, with a vote scheduled in the Commons tomorrow.

The move stunned Westminster, as Mrs May and Number 10 have repeatedly insisted she would not seek a general election before the scheduled 2020 poll.

But Mrs May, who has a fragile working majority of just 17 in the Commons, said she wanted ‘unity’ at Westminster as talks on Brexit begin in earnest with the European Union.

She said: ‘We want a deep and special partnership between a strong and successful European Union and a United Kingdom that is free to chart its own way in the world.

‘That means we will regain control of our own money, our own laws and our own borders and we will be free to strike trade deals with old friends and new partners all around the world.

‘This is the right approach, and it is in the national interest. But the other political parties oppose it.

‘At this moment of enormous national significance there should be unity here in Westminster, but instead there is division. The country is coming together, but Westminster is not.’

She acknowledged that she needed a stronger position in the Commons to secure her plans for the UK’s future outside the EU.

 

Stories Continues after ad