Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
21.2 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 2043

Uganda born Danny Faure sworn in as new president of Seychelles

The then Vice President of Seychelles, Danny Faure addresses the 68th United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in New York, September 27, 2013. He has been sworn in today Sunday October 16, as the new President.

Danny Faure has been sworn in as the new president of Seychelles on Sunday, after thousands marched through the capital of the East African island nation to support him after the previous president resigned.

Former vice-president Faure, 54, will complete the five-year term of outgoing President James Michel, who announced his resignation last month amid growing public frustration over economic inequality.

Michel gave no reason for his resignation, but it followed parliamentary elections where the opposition coalition Linyon Demokratik (LDS) took control of the legislature from the ruling People’s Progressive Front, called Parti Lepep, for the first time in the country’s history.

Faure, a former finance minister in the Seychelles, is a governor of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the World Bank and the African Development Bank, a statement from State House said.

As a minister, he oversaw the implementation of the first generation of International Monetary Fund-led reforms under the macro economic reform program, which started in October 2008.He continues to direct the second generation of IMF reforms.

“Mr. Faure has been my vice president since July 2010. Together we have won two elections. He has experience in government, after serving in various capacities, including working with the youth, and as a minister in the key portfolios of education and finance,” Michel told the media ahead of the inauguration.

Born to Seychellois parents in Uganda, Faure went to university in Cuba where he graduated with a degree in political science. He has four children and divorced his wife earlier this week, a statement from State House said. Uganda has also contributed to the legal manpower of the Seychelles with a number of senior judicial officers.

He succeeds Michel in line with the Seychelles constitution, which also limits Faure to another single term if he runs again.

The tiny nation of 115 islands and 93,000 people mostly relies on tourism for revenues. Recently it has tried to promote itself as a financial services hub by offering a low-tax environment for companies registered on its territory.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Last king of Rwanda, Uwami Kigeli dead

Uwami Ndahindurwa V Kigeli, will be buried Sunday.

The last king of Rwanda, Uwami Jean Baptiste Ndahindurwa Kigeli is dead.

Uwami Kigeli as he is popularly known among his subject has been leaving the US state of Virginia ever since left his throne.

Described as a king without a throne, Umami Kigeli only ruled his kingdom (Rwanda) for just nine months before fleeing a revolt and has spent the last half century in exile, powerless to stop the violence that ripped through his country.

He died aged 79 and living on public assistance in Virginia, Uwami Kigeli has been yearning to return to the throne but had no support of his subjects. He was dethroned in 1961.

In 1996, two year after genocide. Paul Kagame, then Vice President welcomed Uwami Kigeli back home but not as king. Kigeli said that was for the people to decide. He was a popular figure among his subjects and hence posed a threat to the ruling political class back in Kigali.

 

Stories Continues after ad

BREAKING: Observer ransacked, all computers stolen

Mr Richard Kavuma, Observer Editor.

Offices of the Observer newspaper have been broken into and all the computer taken.

The crescent road based tri-weekly newspaper has been swept clean by unknown people. However, preliminary investigations show that it could have been an in house job by the guard on duty last night.

One of the top editors confirmed to EagleOnline “Swept the newsrooms clean of computers. So stressful. The police is on it, but the security guard was involved”

An employee with the paper whom we can’t name because he lacks authority to speak on behalf of the paper write on his Facebook wall “Sad news of a night break-in at my workplace @observerug I understand all the newsroom computers were taken. The security guard abandoned his gun, he can’t be traced”

However, despite the guard leaving the gun behind and  running away, it isn’t evident that he is the one who broke into as this incident has occurred before with other newsrooms before.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Former Premier Mbabazi cited in Crane Bank woes

SOLD: The former Crane Bank headquarters on Kampala Road.

Former Prime Minister John Patrick Amama Mbabazi, a majority shareholder in the defunct National Bank of Commerce, and other shareholders, are reportedly behind negative publicity Crane Bank is facing.

EagleOnline has learnt from sources in the banking sector and Ugandan intelligence that Mbabazi and his NBC colleagues are bitter with Crane Bank boss Sudhir Ruparelia, for buying off their bank hardly an hour after closure about four years ago.

In September 2012, Bank of Uganda took over the operations of NBC and in its closure directive, the central bank wrote: “In exercise of its powers under Section 88(1)(a) and (b) of the Financial Institutions Act 2004, Bank of Uganda has effective today September 27, 2012 taken over the management of National Bank of Commerce,” reads the notice which was signed by Deputy Governor Louis  Kasekende. The BOU notice added: “The management and board of directors of National Bank of Commerce are hereby suspended.”

However, sources said that hardly an hour after the closure, Crane Bank management was ushered and took over the operations of the bank.

The sources further said that whereas Sudhir managed to takeover the operations of the bank and the accounts of the customers at the time, little did he know that the former shareholders weren’t happy about his immediate takeover.

“Some have in process hit back at him with the latest negative publicity whose aim is to make customers run away from the bank,” the sources told EagleOnline.

“We have picked clues that it is about the way NBC was closed and hurriedly taken over by Crane Bank and the second lead relates to politics; there are some individuals who think that Sudhir could have bailed out President Yoweri Museveni with money from his bank during campaigns and so these are trying to spoil business,” the sources say, referring to a brief about the ongoing negative publicity about Crane Bank that was reportedly prepared by Economic Monitoring Desk in the Office of the President.

Efforts to contact Mr Mbabazi were fruitless by press time.

At one time the NBC was reportedly sold to a group of wealthy Arabs at US$ 16 million but details of the subsequent transactions remain a highly-guarded secret.

Established in 1993, the National Bank of Commerce (NBC) enjoyed the shareholding of prominent Ugandans like retired Justice George William Kanyeihamba, Bank of Uganda Governor Prof Emmanuel Mutebile, Prof Mondo Kagonyera and Dr Ezra Suruma among many other personalities from the greater Kigezi region.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Katsha pays Shs12m to Guvnor, lines up Bebe Cool for ‘big do’

CLEARED FOR 'BIG DO": South African-based Ugandan businessman Shafiq Katumba

South Africa-based Ugandan businessman Shafiq Katumba, popularly known as Katsha, has paid Club Guvnor in advance for his December party.

A source has revealed that a sum of over Shs12million was paid to the industrial area-located night spot yesterday by Katsha’s confidant in Uganda.

The money was paid as a booking for his annual ‘Money & Gold’ party, slated for December 23.

We have been informed by the source that among the artistes that Katsha has lined up for this year’s party is Gagmel boss Bebe Cool and the Afrigo Band of Moses Matovu.

He also intends to fly in a surprise artiste, the source added.

 

 

Stories Continues after ad

Sizzaman hits at Chameloene’s brother and Bigeye in new song

GABABUGUMYE: Singer Andrew Kayemba aka Sizzaman

‘Gababugumye’ is a luganda word loosely translated to mean ‘being on the hot seat’. The song rose to fame recently when musician Jose Chameleone used it while attacking his older brother Humphrey Mayanja, following his comments on the arrest of Team No Sleep manager, Jeff Kiwa.

Jose Chameleone's older brother Humphrey Mayanja
Jose Chameleone’s older brother Humphrey Mayanja

Also, Don Zella, an ex-fiance to singer Bigeye, reiterated the same to refer to her former boyfriend, who she thought was in a tight situation.

AT EASE WITH SELF: Don Zella
AT EASE WITH SELF: Don Zella

Well, self-declared ‘music dictionary’ Andrew Kayemba aka Sizzaman has hit the studio and recorded a song out of the word. Similar to its previous usage, he uses ‘Gababugumye’ to troll Chameleone’s elder brother Humphrey and Bigeye.

A disc of Sizzaman's audio version of Gababugumye.
A disc of Sizzaman’s audio version of Gababugumye.

The song boasts of a rich lyrical package that he is famously known for; the lyrics are knitted together with humour, adding more fun to a listener.
Music critics believe it’s going to be the next biggest song in clubs. Like many of Sizzaman’s songs, Gababugumye has hard dancehall beats that are at one time fused with beats from Timaya’s monster hit, Sanko.
Meanwhile, the artiste has also released ‘Lusama’, his long-awaited video for the song.

 

Stories Continues after ad

UNEB withdraws centre numbers ahead of UCE exams, cancels previous results

Dan Odong, Executive Secretary of UNEB. Photo credit New Vision.

As O’level candidates prepare for exams beginning Monday, UNEB has withdrawn centre numbers and cancelled some previous results, in the process affecting 1067 former candidates.

The saddening news of the cancellation arrived at after a lengthy investigation by the UNEB security committee, was delivered yesterday by UNEB Secretary Dan Odongo, in the company of acting General Secretary for Secondary Schools James Turyatemba and UNEB Principal Public Relations Officer Hamis Kaheru.

According to Mr Odongo, the affected students were complicit in possessing forbidden materials in an examination room and copying, aided by teachers. He however, added that they were given a fair hearing by the committee.

On his part Turyatemba urged religious leaders to sensitise students against engaging in exam malpractices, giving an example of Emeritus Cardinal Emmanuel Wamala, who he said, had done a lot in cautioning against the vice.

Meanwhile, four of the schools that have been gearing up for the UCE exams, have had the centre numbers withdrawn. The schools; Budinse Memorial School in Bulo, Wakiso Muslim SS in Kakiri, Kazo Hill College of Kawempe and Lake Albert SDA of Kagadi, had been cleared by UNEB and also issued with exam materials like answer booklets.

However, their officials were reportedly shocked to receive the information from journalists that their centre numbers had been withdrawn by the authorities, just less than a week to the UCE exams.

According to the officials, the candidates are being punished for malpractices of either the school authorities or the candidates in the previous UCE exams.

“The communication came in less than a week to exams; it becomes a bit hard for these students to register elsewhere for their exams and the school authorities have no immediate solution on this matter,” one of the school officials said.

But According Mr. Turyatemba said if UNEB fails to find emergency alternative examination centres, the affected students might sit for their exams next year.

He also called for the amendment of the UNEB Act, to pave the way for the stringent punishment of exam offenders including the closure of the schools found culpable.

 

Schools affected by UNEB result cancellation

SCHOOL NUMBER OF STUDENTS
AVE ,MARIA SS KIHUURA -KYENJOJO 88
BOOMA INTERN SCHOOL MBARARA 40
BWIKALA SS KAGADI 93
BUDISE MEMORIAL SCHOOL BULO 55
KISOJO SS -KYENJEJO 91
KAZO HILL COLLEGE – KAWEMPE 59
COMMUNITY COLLEGUE KALISISO 50
LAKE ALBERT SDA -KAGADI 38
LORETOH SS MUKONO 104
MIVULE SS BUKAKATA -MASAKA 44
RIVERSIDE COMP SS MANAFWA 70
SARAH NTIRO H S MAYUGE 70
ST MUGAGA SS KIGANDA-MITYANA 46
ST JOHN HILL SS GGULAMA – MASAKA 46
ST JUDE HS KARIJUMBA – KASESE 44
WAKISO MUSLIM SS -KAKIRI 78
TOTAL 1067
Stories Continues after ad

DHL certified ‘top employer’ in Africa

EXCELLENT WORK: Sonia Calou, HR Generalist for DHL Express SSA Indian Oceans, receiving the Top Employer Africa 2017 certification on behalf of DHL Express Sub Saharan Africa

DHL Express, an international express services provider with an office in Uganda has been certified as a Top Employer in Africa by the Top Employers Institute at the prestigious Top Employer 2017 ceremony on Thursday October 13 at the Sandton Convention Centre.

The company was certified as a Top Employer in twelve markets, including Uganda, Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Nigeria and South Africa.

Hennie Heymans, CEO of DHL Express Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)
Hennie Heymans, CEO of DHL Express Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)

Hennie Heymans, CEO of DHL Express Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), says the company is  ‘extremely proud’ of this achievement, and that the achievement is testament to how much it values its employees and “reaffirms that DHL Express is a rewarding place to work at.”

“Having motivated people is the first pillar of our global internal focus strategy and being an Employer of Choice is one of our three bottom lines. This demonstrates how seriously we take employee engagement and development at a global level and on the ground in SSA. We’re committed to having a team of high performers who operate in a high performance culture and in a region that promotes and drives diversity of leadership,” Mr Heymans says.

DHL Express Sub Saharan Africa Human Resources Representatives receiving their Top Employer 2017 certification. DHL Express received Top Employer 201 certification in 12 African countries. They were also certified as a Top Employer for Africa 2017
DHL Express Sub Saharan Africa Human Resources Representatives receiving their Top Employer 2017 certification. DHL Express received Top Employer 201 certification in 12 African countries. They were also certified as a Top Employer for Africa 2017. All photos/APO

“I believe that DHL Express has something very unique. You don’t often find a company that can maintain the same culture across the world,” he said adding: “These initiatives and programs include our Certified International Specialist (CIS) program, which is a cultural change program that all our employees across SSA have gone through. An extension of CIS is our Certified International Manager (CIM) program, which focuses primarily on ensuring that our leaders are equipped with the knowledge and skills to meet the demands of today’s complex working environment and promote effective and quality leadership among managers.”

Further, Mr Heymans says DHL runs a 100 percent anonymous annual Employee Opinion Survey that gives the company ‘great insight’ into areas that require improvement.

“Much like how we rely on customer feedback to improve our customer service quality, direct feedback from employees is imperative to our success. From an employee recognition point of view, we run Employee Appreciation Weeks and functional focus weeks which celebrate and recognize our employees’ achievements in each country. In addition, we present quarterly and annual awards to our star performers, based on employee nominations,” adds Heymans.

To be certified as a Top Employer in Africa, a company needs to operate in four or more countries and have exceptional employee conditions. The Top Employers Institute conducts comprehensive and independent research by getting employees in the relevant companies to complete a HR best practice survey.

The survey assesses the company’s HR strategy, policy implementation, practices and employee offerings, to reveal whether the company provides exceptional employee conditions, develops talent on all levels and demonstrates leadership through optimizing the development of its employees and employee practices.

Each completed survey is reviewed by the Top Employer Institute and subsequently audited by a third party. Only organizations that qualify from the selection process receive the Top Employers title and Certification Seal but all participants receive a comprehensive Feedback Report.

“We are delighted to have been certified as a Top Employer in Africa for the third consecutive year and strive to ensure that we continue to achieve this prestigious certification every year,” concludes Heymans.

Stories Continues after ad

Another Rwanda former minister dies

DEAD: Former Rwanda Minister Joseph Desire Nyandwi.

Barely a week after the death of former Rwandan justice minister Jean de Dieu Mucyo, another former Minister Joseph Desire Nyandwi has died.

Nyandwi, who passed on this morning while undergoing treatment at the King Faisal Hospital in Kigali aged 62, served as the local government minister of Rwanda from 2000 to 2003, after which he joined Parliament, where he has been an MP for 13 years.

After the 1994 genocide in Rwanda Nyandwi, who studied agriculture at university, served as the head (Prefet) of Gitarama (province) between 1994 and 1999.

Born in Nyamagabe in present-day Southern province, Nyandwi is survived by two children.

Stories Continues after ad

Eddy Kenzo ‘pays’ Bebe Cool with MTV Awards votes

AWARD WINNER: The 2015 BET Award Winner Eddy Kenzo aka Eddy Musuuza.

Bebe Cool lost at last year’s MTV Music Awards (MAMAs) and his fans were quick to blame Eddy Kenzo for the loss; they accused him of refusing to return a favour for the support that they had given to him in the BET awards that he later won.

Whereas Bebe Cool had rallied his fans to vote for Kenzo, perhaps hoping for the same, the ‘Sitya Loss’ musician had nothing like that in his plans. This sparked off a big war between the two.

However, with just a few days left to this year’s MAMAs, Kenzo has come out to rally his fans to vote for Bebe Cool in the awards where both artistes are nominated.

“UG, let’s support our own at #Mamas by sharing pic of nominee and using their category # to vote,” he appealed to his fans on social media.

Kenzo is nominated in the Best Live Category while Bebe Cool is nominated in the Listeners Choice category. The other Ugandan nominated is Sheebah Karungi- in the category of Best Video of the Year.

“Voting can be for example; #MamaVote + #BestLiveAct + #EddyKenzo, #MamaVote +#ListenersChoice + #BebeCool, #MamaVote + #VideoofTheYear + #Sheeba….”

The 2016 MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMAs) that will be taking place in Johannesburg, South Africa on 22 October.

 

Stories Continues after ad