Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
17.7 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 2270

Parliamentarians recalled to debate elections’ Bills

Parliament has been recalled from recess, to among other issues, debate the Presidential Elections (Amendment) Bill 2015.
According to a communication dated September 21 from the Clerk to Parliament Jane Kibirige, the MPs will also debate the Parliamentary Elections (Amendment) Bill 2015 and the Electoral Commission (Amendment) Bill 2015. The three Bills will be tabled by the Attorney General/Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs.
On September 17 the Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga adjourned the house sine die.
Meanwhile, during the 5th session of the 9th Parliament the MPs will also debate two other bills, the Retirement Benefits Sector Liberalisation Bill 2011 and the National Biotechnology and Biosafety Bill 2011and; four Statements by Ministers including among others failure to implement regulations of the National Forestry Authority, student unrest at Makerere, poor state of the Cheptui Bridge on the Muyembe-Nakapipirit road and on distribution of seeds and other planting materials.
Other issues will focus on reports and motions including ratification of the East African Protocol on Cooperation on Defence Affairs, the ‘takeover’ of public schools land in Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), and agreements made by the Saudi labour ministry and the Ministry of Labour, Gender and Social Development of Uganda, for the ‘export of labour’ to the kingdom.
In July this year, the Uganda Government through the gender and labour ministry and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia signed an MoU, where the former would provide graduates to work in different capacities in the Middle East country, famed for its oil billions.
The Permanent Secretary of the gender ministry Pius Bigirimana reportedly said the Uganda graduates some of who will work as domestic maids, truck drivers, security guards and shopkeepers, will earn a minimum of US$200 plus health insurance.
Stories Continues after ad

Pope Francis to address UN

Pope Francis
Pope Francis

Pope Francis will address the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on Friday, September 25.

According to reliable information, the Pope will also hold bilateral meetings with the UN Secretary General Ban ki Moon and the new UNGA President, and also participate in town hall gathering with UN staff.

Pope Francis
Pope Francis

Earlier in the day the Pope will also visit the National September 11 Memorial and Museum.

“The attendance and address of Pope Francis are guaranteed to make it a special one. This year’s assembly will also involve huge decisions for its members concerning sustainable development, climate change and much more,” the official website for the Papal visit indicates.

Since the formation of the 193-member country organization (UN) seventy years ago in 1945, four Popes have addressed the UNGA and these include Pope Paul VI in 1965, Pope John Paul II (twice); Pope Benedict XVI in 2008, with Pope Francis now going to address the UN on Friday.

Meanwhile, several roads will remain closed to traffic during the Pope’s stay in New York.

Stories Continues after ad

Kawempe Mayor given police bond

Mubarak Munyagwa leaving Kabalagala Police Station.

Outspoken Kawempe division mayor, Mubarak Munyagwa has been given police bond this morning and is to report to police on Monday next week.

Mubarak Munyagwa leaving Kabalagala Police Station.
Mubarak Munyagwa leaving Kabalagala Police Station.

Munyagwa was arrested last week after police received information that he extorted 60 million shillings from a one Francis Kakumba in order to allegedly use his influence to secure him a job on the Kawempe Land Board, a deal which reportedly stalled after the payment.

“It is something we have picked interest in, we are going to weigh the sixty million and the spot on the job and evaluate,” Police spokesman Fred Enanga said while addressing journalists at the police headquarters in Naguru today, shortly after announcing Munyagwa’s bond.

Mr Enanga pointed out that a number of witnesses among who are individuals who claim they played a mediation role and transporting the money  have recorded statements as police looks to gather more evidence on the case.

After his arrest, Munyagwa said that these were false allegations imposed on him by the government for being a big critic to its policies. He added that government has been implicating him in different cases in the past.

Munyagwa has been held at the Central Police Station in Kampala, while the case was filed at Kabalagala Police Station.

Stories Continues after ad

NRM CEC drops Rwabwogo

Odrek Rwabwogo

 

odrek Rwabwogo
odrek Rwabwogo

 

The National Resistance Movement the highest decision-making body, the Central Executive Committee has failed to endorse President Yoweri Museveni’s son-in-law Odrek Rwabwogo for the post of vice chairperson western, denying him a chance of serving the ruling party in that capacity, at least for now.

In a meeting yesterday, Justice Minister Major Gen. Severino Kahinda Otafiire stood down for his bush war colleague Maj. Gen.  Matayo Kyaligonza, in the process edging out Rwabwogo, who mid this year announced he wanted to contest for the post of NRM Vice President for Western Uganda.

Rwabwogo’s announcement stirred voices of dissent from some party adherents, with Gen. Kyaligonza and Luwero Distrcit NRM chairman Haji Abdul Nadduli, both openly criticizing the decision by the President’s son-in-law to vie for the post.

However, the youthful Rwabwogo was undeterred, saying he wanted to re-energise the NRM based on its ideology.

Meanwhile, Jeff Rwakanuma, another contender for the NRM western Uganda vice presidency lost out alongside another ‘Young Turk’ Hakim Lukenge, who was standing against NRM National Vice Chairman Al Hajji Moses Kigongo.

“He can’t march the stature of Kigongo,” Mike Mukula, the NRM Vice Chairperson for Eastern Uganda, told Eagle Online.

However, contacted for comment Lukenge said he stands another chance, only if the National Executive Committee reverses the decision.

And, asked about his candidature, Mukula said he was still in the race and that “the vote will sort out the boys from the men.”

In a related development Speaker Rebecca Kadaga was returned unopposed as the NRM Second National Vice Chairperson.

 

Stories Continues after ad

TDA flag bearer to be announced on Monday

Mr Wafula Oguttu,Leader of Opposition in Parliament who doubles as TDA Spokesperson.
Mr Wafula Oguttu,Leader of Opposition in Parliament who doubles as TDA Spokesperson.
Mr Wafula Oguttu,Leader of Opposition in Parliament who doubles as TDA Spokesperson.

Having spent three days of intense discussions, The Democratic Alliance will be announcing the coalition’s successful candidate next week on Monday.

“The four candidates had fruitful discussion at the retreat just themselves in a room. I believe Monday is the D day,” the TDA Spokesperson Wafula Oguttu posted on his official Facebook page, adding that they held a meeting of about 13 hours trying to find the TDA flag bearer.

The four candidates include former Vice President Professor Gilbert Bukenya, former Prime Minister John Patrick Amama Mbabazi, FDC flag bearer Dr Besigye and Democratic Party President Norbert Mao.

The coalition’s summit was set to announce its flag bearer on Friday but disagreements emerged and FDC threatened to pull out of the TDA amid accusations that summit was ‘favouring’ former Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi.

The FDC reportedly questioned the way Mbabazi was nominated and the criteria used to gauge him as the strongest potential candidate.

Amid all the chaos, on Thursday some FDC youth stormed the summit meeting at Royal Suites in Bugolobi, forcing Dr Kizza Besigye out of the meeting.

However, on Friday Besigye rejoined the negotiations with discussions among the candidates themselves agreeing on a number of issues.

Meanwhile, Mbabazi has said he brings to the TDA some support and vote-winning skills acquired while he served as the NRM’s Secretary General.

Stories Continues after ad

Cote d’Ivoire hosts inaugural Africa Islamic Finance Forum

President Alassane Outtara

 

President Alassane Outtara
President Alassane Outtara

Islamic Finance Forum has concluded in Cote d’Ivoire, with the country being touted as a Shariah compliant investment destination.

The two-day event on September 17 and 18 at the Sofitel Abidjan Hotel Ivoire featured discussions on investment opportunities in key African markets, and on the first day the Forum participants deliberated on a global overview of Shariah compliant transactions and the industry as a whole followed by a session on Africa’s blueprint for Islamic finance development.

“The inaugural Africa Islamic Finance Forum 2015 is designed specifically for the benefit of local and international market players to explore the development opportunities in Islamic finance both in the Cote d’Ivoire, locally and regionally – concentrating on building the market and exploring its exceptional potential through inward investment and international collaboration,” a release states.

The Forum was officially opened by Cote d’Ivoire President Alassane Outtara, while the event commenced with keynote addresses from Albert Toikeusse Mabri Abdallah, the governor of the IDB and senior minister of state, planning and development, Cote d’Ivoire; Khaled Al Aboodi, the CEO of the Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector and Cheikh Hadjibou Soumare, the president of the West African Economic and Monetary Union.

Others who addressed the Forum include Dr Sidi Ould Tah, the director-general of the Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa (DADEA) and Dr Ahmad Mohamed Ali Al-Madani, the president of the IDB, while the keynote address was delivered by the Cote d’Ivoire Prime Minister Daniel Kablan Duncan.

The second day begun with a panel discussion on the application of Shariah compliant tools to SME financing and microfinance, followed by a presentation by INOKS Capital on investments opportunities in African SMEs. The later session featured another roundtable on human capital, with a specific focus on what the industry really needs in relation to developing new generation of Islamic bankers, while the last dialogue concentrated on prospects, opportunities and challenges of trade finance in Africa.

“The Africa Islamic Finance Forum 2015 is a must-attend event for all industry stakeholders as it provides an unparalleled platform for networking opportunities as well as the centre stage to be at the very forefront of Africa’s flourishing Islamic finance sector,” the release by Africa Press Organisation (APO) adds.

 

 

 

Stories Continues after ad

Two billion adults unbanked

An empty banking hall
 

An empty banking hall
An empty banking hall

A newly-released report by the Islamic Cooperation for the Development of the Private Sector (ICD) has indicated that two billion people in the world do not have bank accounts, with 340 million of these in sub-Saharan Africa.

Africa’s population currently is estimated at 1.166 billion and this figure represents 29.1 % of the unbanked population in Sub Saharan Africa.

The report “Islamic Finance in Africa: A Promising Future” was released during the Africa Islamic Finance Forum 2015 in Abidjan held on September 17-18, and focuses majorly at the growth opportunities for Islamic finance to flourish in the region.

‘The birthplace of a quarter of the global Muslim population, the report highlights that Africa features a potentially strong demand for Islamic financial services and products. While still comparatively under-developed, Islamic finance is expanding in many parts of the region, and is now present across most of North Africa and in many countries of East and West Africa, particularly those with sizeable Muslim communities,’ the report indicates.

According to the report, Africa needs US93 billion to finance large scale infrastructure and manufacturing projects.

‘One of the recommendations of the report is that Islamic finance can act as the catalyst in mobilising funding into Africa, thereby resulting in economic growth and sustainable development.’ The report indicates and adds ‘there is a significant funding potential opportunity for Islamic banks in view of the increasing emergence of small-to-medium enterprises (SMEs) across Africa’.

The report also highlights notable progress in the sukuk sector, where recent developments have seen governments focusing more on creating a more enabling environment for sukuk issuances. Some countries which have issued sukuk include Gambia, Sudan, Senegal and South Africa, while Ivory Coast is lining up to issue its debut sukuk at the end of the year.

Other countries such as Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco have expressed keen interest in tapping the sukuk market for infrastructure financing and have finalized or are in the midst of finalizing their legal frameworks to promote sukuk issuances.

‘Although the Islamic financial services industry in Africa is currently dominated by the banking and sukuk segments, growth potential remains in the asset management and takaful spheres’ the reports states.

 

 

Stories Continues after ad

Aronda Death: Heart attack or not?

Gen. Aronda Nyakairima

Could the acute heart attack be something invented at death? Maybe yes maybe no.

Linda Aronda, the widow to the deceased former Minister of Internal Affairs, has cast doubt in autopsy report released by government showing that her husband died of acute heart attack.

“He has been full of life. The heart problem they are talking about may have been there, but the 20 years I have lived with my husband, I have never seen him sick. My children here are my witnesses,” she said.

A visibly devastated Linda was eulogizing her dead husband during the State funeral service at Kololo ceremonial grounds.

“We have never seen him fail to get work to work. He loved to work and he always left home to go for his official duties and always returned safely,” she said, flanked by her two children.

Gen Aronda who died last Saturday served as the country’s first and longest Chief of Defence Forces before he moved to the Ministry of internal affairs in close to two years ago, where he is credited for executing the erstwhile stalled national identification project.

According to senior police pathologist Dr Moses Byaruhanga, small scars were found in the swollen heart of Aronda, an indication that he could have suffered the problem for some time.

A cue the president picked from as he spoke at Kololo.

“Apparently, Gen around twice got heart attacks but they were minor,” he said. “But this one which happened in the aeroplane was so severe that it took his life.”

The contradiction between the widow and the government report is a matter which seems to point out that she is suspecting foul play in the death of her husband.

Earlier on in Parliament, the Leader of Opposition Wafula Oguttu also posed questions regarding the death particularly wondering how the Managing Director of Uganda Media Center, and government spokesperson Ofwono Opondo came to know that Aronda had died of a heart attack even before a post-mortem was done.

When news about Aronda’s death petered through the country, on 12 September, the outspoken spokesperson tweeted that, “Confirmed #Gen Aronda has died of heart attack while on transit in Dubai from South Korea @UgandaMediaCent @skaheru @AllanKasujja

Gen Aronda will be buried at his ancestral home in Rukungiri district on Sunday.

Stories Continues after ad

Archbishop Ntagali urges politicians to emulate Gen Aronda

The Archbishop of the Church of Uganda Stanley Ntagali has called upon leaders to emulate the exemplary leadership exhibited by the former Internal Affairs Minister General Aronda Nyakairima.

Addressing mourners attending a memorial service held at Kololo Ceremonial Grounds in honour of Gen Aronda, the Archbishop said he knew the deceased as a man of integrity, God fearing and humble.

latest02+pixn
Ntagali addressing mourners at Kololo

“For the time I have known Aronda, his name has never been mentioned in any corruption scandal and we must thank God for that,” he said and advised leaders not indulge in corrupt tendencies but use their offices to serve the people.

He also consoled the family of the deceased especially the widow Linda Aronda.

“Linda, in Aronda you got a good husband and it is unfortunate that he has gone too soon,” the Archbishop said adding: “You made a vow to stand with him in good and bad and this there is no doubt you have done this to your best.”

Taking a jibe at the forthcoming elections, Ntagali urged politicians not bribe voters and also advised the voters not to allow to be bribed but vote basing on issues that affect them.

“Do not be cheap to be bought but rather vote leaders on merit,” he counseled before imploring the clergy to be impartial.

“Now is the time to make Uganda better,” he said.

Stories Continues after ad

FIFA suspends Valcke over corruption  

Jérôme Valcke

 

The Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA) has today suspended Mr Jerome Valcke, the Secretary General of the body.

Valcke’s suspension comes in the wake of allegations implicating him in selling World Cup tickets above face value and fraudulently awarding the two World Cups to Russia and Qatar in 2018 and 2022, respectively.

“Jerome Valcke has been suspended, put on leave and released from all his duties until further notice,“ Walter De Gregio, the FIFA spokesman was quoted saying. FIFA has been aware of the allegations and has now requested the ethics committee to investigate the matter.

Jérôme Valcke
Jérôme Valcke

The 54-year old Frenchman has however denied and termed the allegations as ‘fabricated’ and outrageous.

Regarded as embattled former FIFA boss Sepp Blatter’s right hand man, Valcke joined FIFA as a sports journalist in 1984; he was made the FIFA Director of Marketing and Head of Television in 2003 before being elected as the Secretary General in 2007.

At the time of the suspension, Valcke was travelling to Moscow to mark ‘1000 days to go’ for the 2018 Russia World Cup and was also planning to run for the FIFA presidency after president Blatter announced he was stepping down in June.

His suspension also comes a day after FIFA executive committee member Eugenio`Figueredo, one of the fourteen executives named in corruption acts, had his extradition approved by US officials.

In May this year, seven of the executives were arrested in a hotel in Switzerland, where they had gone for the FIFA general elections.

Those arrested then include Jack Warner, Chuck Brazier, Eduardo Li, Julio Rocha and Jeffry Webb, and they await extradition to the US.

Stories Continues after ad