Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
19 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 2078

Sameer to stop manufacture of tyres in Kenya

TO BE CLOSED: The Sameer tyre manufacturing factory in Kenya

Regional manufacturing conglomerate Sameer Africa Limited, which had previously invested heavily in Uganda’s diary industry, is set close its tyre plant in Kenya at the end of this month, citing ‘unfair competition’ and high operational costs.

According to Sameer, manufacturers of the Yana brand tyres, their market segment in Kenya has declined from 62% to 25% over the last 10 years, beginning 2005.

In the last year alone the company reported a loss of Ksh 66 million (approx. Ugshs2.3bn), and it also estimates to fork out Kshs 725 million (Approx. Ugshs22.4bn) in winding up costs that primarily include severance payment for employees, Managing Director Allan Walmsley said.

Sameer is also the distributor of Bridgestone tyres in Uganda and other countries in the region including Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya and Burundi, and by press time it was not possible to establish how the closure would affect the company’s operations in Uganda.

President Yoweri Museveni on a visit to the original Dairy Corporation in 2010.
President Yoweri Museveni on a visit to the original Dairy Corporation in 2010.

Sameer kicked off its operations in Uganda in 2007, acquiring the then Diary Corporation from Thailand-based firm, Malee Sampran plc, which had also earlier acquired the corporation from the Uganda government in 2004 at one dollar during the privatization process.

A Brookside milk delivery truck. Brookside is the biggest milk products firm in East Africa
A Brookside milk delivery truck. Brookside is the biggest milk products firm in East Africa

Since then Brookside Diary, a huge investment of Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta’s family, has acquired the former Diary Corporation from Sameer.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Internet ‘cut off’ in Gabon amid unrest

People in Gabon have been unable to access social media and internet access has been cut off according to reports.

Sarah Crozier from the European Union election observer mission, told the BBC it was hampering their communications as well: “It’s a little bit difficult for us to get information as well because the internet has been cut off.”

According to this graph from an Internet tracking site, internet access has been severely disrupted since Thursday evening, when protests broke out after the announcement of Ali Bongo’s presidential election victory.

defeated presidential candidate, Jean Ping, has told French media that he fears for his safety and could be arrested at any moment.

Mr Ping told private French radio station RMC that he had effectively gone into hiding following the violent storming of his party headquarters overnight:“I am not leaving the place where I am. I believe they thought I was at the party headquarters with the other leading opposition figures.

“I could be arrested at any moment. They’re probably trying to find me so they can arrest me… Half an hour from now, my safety could be undermined, or I could perhaps risk physical harm.”

Jean Ping had declared his victory before official results were announced
Jean Ping had declared his victory before official results were announced

He also called for international support, singling out former colonial power France, which appeared to back his candidacy: “We are calling for the intervention of the entire international community, the European Union, the United States, but especially France due to its historical links to Gabon… Otherwise, it will look like a failure to help a people in danger.”

@BBC

Stories Continues after ad

UNEB ‘denies’ Otafiire rival MP Kahonda

Ruhinda MP Capt (rtd) Donozio Mugabe Kahonda

The Uganda National Examinations Board has said the embattled Ruhinda County MP Donozio Mugabe Kahonda does not appear in their records as a person who sat for both O-Level and A-Level.

According to the examinations body, details of Captain (rtd) Kahonda’s academic pursuits at different times are not reflected in the UNEB records of the said periods.

'NO COMMENT': Former Ruhinda MP Kahinda Otafiire.
‘NO COMMENT’:
Former Ruhinda MP Kahinda Otafiire.

A retired Uganda Peoples Defence Forces officer, Kahonda contested for the National Resistance Movement (NRM) party primaries for the 2016 elections and defeated long-serving MP Major General Kahinda Otafiire in a hotly contested race for party flag bearer.

After losing, Otafiire stood as an Independent but again lost to Kahonda. But this was not before the ‘ghosts’ of Kahonda’s academic past resurfaced to haunt him, exposing the retired Captain to multiple court summonses and appearances in Jinja and Luwero.

In Jinja magistrate’s court Kahonda is facing charges of forgery and impersonation, while in the Luwero Magistrate’s court he is responding to accusations by a one Godfrey Kiweewa, that he does not possess a degree in counseling obtained from Ndejje University, as he claims. In court Ndejje University will also testify as to whether Kahonda attained the said degree.

But contacted at the time, Kahonda told EagleOnline that it was a witch hunt ‘like another ongoing case’ brought against him by his former employer, the army.

“You cannot try a case which is ongoing in another court (Jinja); it is unfair and it is all intended to curtail me from performing my duties,” Kahonda told this news Website on phone.

His political nemesis Maj Gen Otafiire has variously refused to comment on Kahonda’s travails, arguing that the issues daunting the MP are before court.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Baguma ‘sick’, fails to appear in court

COMMITTED TO HIGH COURT: SP Aaron Baguma is accused of murder.

Embattled former Central Police Station Commander Aaron Baguma who is facing murder charges has today failed to appear before the Buganda Road Chief Magistrate’s court for mention of charges against him.

According to sources Superintendent of Police (SP) Baguma, who is currently on remand at Kigo Prison, is sick and cannot appear before court.

Baguma, businessman Muhammad Sebuwufu, owner of Pine car bond on Buganda Road and others allegedly tortured and killed city businesswoman Donah Katushabe after she reportedly failed to pay a debt of Shs9 million owed to Sebuwufu. The said money resulted from the purchase of a car, where Katushabe allegedly paid Shs10 upfront, remaining with the balance that resulted in her killing.

Since her death, accusations linking Baguma to Katushabe’s death surfaced variously, but the police officer continued with his routine duties at CPS, undeterred.

This prompted the family of the deceased to seek the intervention of the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP). The DPP then swung into action and demanded that the police arrest Baguma, a development that was futile because the police officer allegedly went into hiding.

Subsequently, the court issued a warrant of arrest for the elusive Baguma, till two days ago when he resurfaced and handed himself over to police.

DISMISSED FAMILY REQUEST TO ABSOLVE BAGUMA: Director of Public Prosecutions Mike Chibita wa Duallo
DISMISSED FAMILY REQUEST TO ABSOLVE BAGUMA: Director of Public Prosecutions Mike Chibita wa Duallo

At about the same time, relatives of the deceased wrote to the DPP Mike Chibita wa Duallo, saying they had absolved Baguma of any complicity in the murder of Katushabe and asked the DPP to drop the charges.

However, the DPP dismissed the request by the deceased’s relatives saying ‘criminal justice is not driven by the victims’, a decision that has now led to the prosecution of Baguma, against who a production warrant of September 6 has been issued by Buganda Road Court Chief Magistrate Jameson Karemani.

Stories Continues after ad

Minister Kibuule to be punished if found guilty of assault -PM

State minister for Youth Ronald Kibuule allegedly assaulted Ms Obuku before calling in the Mukono DPC, Mr Alfred Ahimbisibwe, to arrest her on a trumped-up charge of libel, a media-related offence

Prime Minister Ruhakana Ruganda has confirmed that government has started investigations into the conduct of the State Minister for Water Ronald Kibuule, after he was accused of assaulting a female security guard at the Stanbic Bank branch in Mukono.

Dr Rugunda, who was speaking on the sidelines of the cabinet retreat at Lake Victoria Serena Hotel, Kigo, condemned the incident, describing the August 13 brawl that stemmed from Mr Kibuule’s alleged refusal to be searched as unexemplary of a leader.

He had earlier said that discipline in the conduct for ministers is key.

“Government t is concerned about the reported incident involving Hon Kibuule. The matter is being investigated and action will depend on the results,” Ruganda said. The PM also called for equal treatment of all Ugandans and foreigners alike.

“We would like, not only Ugandans, but everybody to be treated properly and with respect; as leaders, we must provide good examples to those we lead,” he added.

Mr Kibuule, against whom  pressure to resign is mounting, is accused by Ms Hellen Obuku, a private security guard, of assaulting her when she asked him to be subjected to a routine security check at Stanbic Bank Mukono branch two weeks ago.

Subsequently, Minister Kibuule, who denied the accusations levelled against him, reportedly ordered police officers to arrest Ms Obuku for libel.

Mr Kibuule is currently representing Uganda at the World Water Week in Stockholm, Sweden, which is organised by the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI).

Incidentally, such ministerial travels are authorised by the leader of government business, in this case PM Rugunda.

Stories Continues after ad

Partial solar eclipse on, Kampalans unaware orbital movements

Partial solar eclipse in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Today morning Kampala experienced the same type of eclipse for about 4 hours.

Kampala city is experiencing a partial solar eclipse expected to last four hours, but several people are unaware of the development.

The eclipse that began at around 11am has seen the morning in Kampala have an ashy brown hue, with many Kampalans unaware the moon had come between the sun and the earth.

According to Wikipedia there are four kinds of solar eclipses: total, annular, hybrid and partial, the latter that eclipsed Kampala and other East African cities today.

Solar eclipses can only occur during a new Moon, when the Moon moves between the Earth and the Sun and the three celestial bodies form a straight line: Earth – Moon – Sun.

Stories Continues after ad

Kiracho Njoroge set for JW Kampala Jazz experience

Ugandan revelers have finally absorbed the jazz craze and come September 1st, the genre’s sophisticated lovers will be treated to a a soulful and jazzy evening with Kiracho Njoroge at Guvnor Night Club.

A producer and multi-instrumentalist, Kiracho who is touted by pundits as one of the best Kept secrets of the Ugandan Music industry, will be performing at the Jazz Night courtesy of Johnnie Walker.

Lois Aber, the Johnnie Walker Brand Manager says that the popularity of Jazz Music in the country has created the need for the promotion of local jazz artistes.

“The jazz genre is without a doubt one of the fastest growing in the country. We have organized this night specifically to celebrate our local jazz artistes and we shall be doing this more frequently,” states Aber.

She also intimated that there will be free Johnnie Walker cocktails and a mentorship session for all music lovers who will attend the event.

Kiracho’s music is a fusion of Jazz blues and African folk sound. He has traditional rhythms with very jazzy progressions with funky bass leads backed up by soulful vocal arrangements.

He is a natural performer with over 15 years experience as a stage musician. His ability to deliver good music with his knack for humor makes his act very enjoyable to watch. He is a multi lingual and easily shifts between Kiswahili, English, Kikuyu and Jopadhola.

He was one of the original members of Qwela, currently rated as Uganda’s best live band.

Kiracho has produced and worked for various local and international acts, both in studio for production and on stage as a performer. Recording for the likes of International Gospel Artists Kirk Franklin, Michael W. Smith, Delirious, Cece Winans, Chris Tomlin on the Compassion Art project.

On stage he has played for International acts like Isaac Blackman, Michelle Bonilla and Michael Olson from the Michael W. Smith band.

He has also worked on project for a whole range of Ugandan acts like Maurice Kirya, Qwela, Myko Ouma and ranging to acts like Kadongo Kamu Star Lord Fred Sebatta.

Stories Continues after ad

UBL’s Tubbaale takes Coco Finger, GoodLyf to Gulu

Taks Centre in Gulu town will on Saturday be the party scene when the Goodlyf crew of Radio and Weasel, and Coco Finger seek to dazzle revelers at as Uganda Breweries Limited’s Tubbaale promotion.

“This Saturday Tubbaale will be heading to the north to celebrate with Gulu. To enter, all you need to do is buy a bottle of beer. There will be lots of free beer to be won, gaming areas for play stations, mini golf, foosball and so much more. It is going to be a day of celebration filled with lots of fun and music from some of the best local artists from Northern Uganda,” said Mark Mugisha, UBL’s Head of Beer.

Launched a month ago, Tubbaale, which means ‘Celebrate’ has seen the brewery reward customers with life changing prizes such as plots of land, vans, motor bikes, flat screen Television sets, you name it! There are so many prizes. Christmas has come early to Gulu.

Stories Continues after ad

Africell rolls new data plan

Africell Commercial Director Milad Khairallah (in white shirt) congratulates one of the first recipients

Local telecom company Africell has this morning unveiled a new campaign that will see data subscribers get three times more data at no extra cost.

Dubbed “Triple MBs campaign”, the package will see subscribers who purchase 200 MBs and above on their daily data bundle receive 3 times the value of their data capacity.

The network was ranked the fastest telecom in Uganda last December by Open Signal on the basis of fast internet speeds are also Uganda’s data market leaders with nearly all of their customers hailing the network for the uninterrupted internet speeds needed to run business and social transactions.

Milad Khairallah Africell’s Commercial Director says the Triple data campaign is a reward to their data customers who have continuously trusted Africell for their famed network speeds.

Stories Continues after ad

Tullow and Total to invest Shs27 trillion as Uganda grants duo 8 oil production licenses

Tullow

Energy Minister Irene Muloni has confirmed to EagleOnline about reports that two foreign companies are expected to spend over $8 billion on Uganda’s oil production.

Ms. Muloni said the multibillion investments will be sunk into production infrastructure, including drilling about 500 wells and constructing holding facilities.

On Tuesday, Uganda granted five production licenses to UK-listed explorer Tullow Oil and three to France’s Total, clearing a major hurdle as the country aims to move more quickly toward crude production.

“Ugandans have been eagerly looking forward to this announcement and my ministry is happy to say now time for serious work to start,” Muloni confirmed when contacted about the reports as cabinet heads for a retreat to evaluate government performance for financial year 2015/16.

“The revenue will be ploughed into other sectors to develop Uganda,” she said urging Ugandans, to get ready to partake in the participation of the industry.

Minister for Energy and Mineral Development Irene Muloni (C) and Permanent Secretary Kabagambe Kalisa (R) during Tuesday’s ceremony as Uganda issued eight oil production licences to lead oil industry players Tullow and Total, ending years of deadlock.
Minister for Energy and Mineral Development Irene Muloni (C) and Permanent Secretary Kabagambe Kalisa (R) during Tuesday’s ceremony as Uganda issued eight oil production licences to lead oil industry players Tullow and Total, ending years of deadlock.

The licenses which cover Exploration Area One (EA1), operated by Total, and Exploration Area Two (EA2), operated by Tullow and are valid for 25 years but can be renewed for an additional five years. Uganda hopes to become a crude producer by 2020.

Tullow and Total are required to make final investment decisions 18 months after receiving the licenses and Muloni said commercial oil production was expected to begin in 2020.

When production from all the nine licensed areas starts, output would be between 200,000-230,000 barrels per day, Muloni said on Tuesday.

The China National Offshore Oil Corporation, or CNOOC, previously had been granted a license to operate in Uganda, which in 2006 discovered commercially viable deposits of crude in the Albertine region bordering Congo.

President Museveni recently said Uganda had to build a $2.5 billion refinery to process its crude so it can earn more from its oil resources.

Stories Continues after ad