Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
17.4 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 934

Uganda U17 Women’s team summoned ahead of Cameroon clash

uganda-u17-women

Uganda U17 Women’s National team coach Ayub Khalifah Kiyingi has summoned a provisional squad of 30 players to start preparations ahead of the fixture against Cameroon in the FIFA U17 Women’s World Cup qualifiers.

The team will enter residential camp on Monday at Cranes Paradise Hotel after undergoing the mandatory tests for COVID-19 as guided by the Government.

The core of the team that has played in the previous qualifying games against Ethiopia and Tanzania has been maintained.

However, the coach has also named new faces some of which include goalkeeper Gift Nasasira from Maroons WFC, Winnifred Kwatulira – Jinja United FC, Devine Mirembe – Asubo Gafford Ladies FC and Kamuyati Naigaga among others.

Uganda will face Cameroon in the final qualifying hurdle with the first game slated to take place on 31st October in Kampala and the return leg two weeks later away.

The Full Squad

Goalkeepers: Daphine Nyayenga- Uganda Martyrs High School, Joan Namusisi – Isra Soccer Academy, Zulaika Ngamita – Asubo Gafford Ladies

Defenders: Grace Aluka – Kawempe Muslim Ladies, Samalie Nakacwa – Kawempe Muslim Ladies, Sumaya Komuntale – Tooro Queens, Bira Naddunga – Olila High School, Gillian Akadinda – Olila High School, Gloria Namugerwa – Uganda Martyrs High School, Stella Musubuka – Kawempe Muslim Ladies, Patricia Akiror – Ajax Queens FC

Midfielders: Winnifred Kwatulira – Jinja United FC, Devine Mirembe – Asubo Gafford Ladies FC, Shamira Nalugya – Kawempe Muslim Ladies, Shakira Nyinagahirwa – Kawempe Muslim Ladies, Kevin Nakacwa – Uganda Martyrs High School, Moreen Nangonzi – Ajax Queens FC, Ruth Nyakato – Tooro Queens FC, Sumaya Kyomuhendo – Isra Soccer Academy, Sumaya Tibazalika – Sumaya (Wakiso)

Forwards: Juliet Nalukenge – Kawempe Muslim Ladies, Zaina Nandede – She Kataka FC, Fauzia Najjemba – Kampala Queens, Hadijjah Nandago – Kawempe Muslim Ladies, Margaret Kunihira – Kawempe Muslim Ladies, Catherine Nagadya – Uganda Martyrs High School, Zaitun Namaganda – Taggy High School, Eva Nagayi – Rines WFC, Kamuyati Naigaga – Taggy High School, Brenda Munyana – Uganda Martyrs High School.

Stories Continues after ad

U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady test positive for COVID-19

donald trump and melania trump

US President Donald Trump has said he and First Lady Melania Trump have tested positive for coronavirus and are now in quarantine.

The president, aged 74 and therefore in a high-risk group, announced the news in a tweet. “We will get through this together,” he wrote.

It comes after one of his closest aides tested positive for coronavirus.

Hope Hicks, the 31-year-old adviser to the president, was the closest aide to Mr Trump to test positive so far.

She travelled with him on Air Force One to the first presidential TV debate with Democratic rival Joe Biden in Ohio on Tuesday. Some of Mr Trump’s family members who attended the debate were seen not wearing masks.

Mr Trump has mostly spurned mask-wearing and has often been pictured not socially distanced with aides or others during official engagements.

Mr Trump’s physician, Sean Conley, released a statement, saying the president and the first lady were “both well at this time, and they plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence”.

“Rest assured I expect the president to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any future developments,” the statement said.

Earlier on Thursday, Mr Trump said he and his wife, who is 50, were going into quarantine after Ms Hicks’s positive test.

He tweeted: “Hope Hicks, who has been working so hard without even taking a small break, has just tested positive for Covid 19. Terrible!

“The First Lady and I are waiting for our test results. In the meantime, we will begin our quarantine process!”

It is not clear how Mr Trump’s positive test will affect arrangements for the second presidential debate, which is scheduled for 15 October in Miami, Florida.

Mr Trump is not the first world leader to have tested positive. Earlier this year, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro were infected. They both have since recovered, although Mr Johnson had to receive regular oxygen treatment to help his breathing during hospitalisation.

Stories Continues after ad

744 aspirants nominated at Rubaga Division

Ezrah Ongaria Returning Officer Rubaga Division.

The Electoral Commission (EC) in Rubaga Division has nominated 744 aspirants by deadline date.

Nomination of candidates for local government council’s elections 2021 started on 21 September and was supposed to close today 1 October.

Ezra Ongaria, the returning officer of Rubaga division remarks that there are (752) aspirants who picked forms. However, by the closing date, they have managed to nominate seven hundred forty four aspirants.

Ongaria says the remaining numbers that did not turn up either changed their minds or they lost interest along the way and they might show up in this grace period of four days that has been added into.

According to Ongaria, the highest number of aspirants nominated was on 28th which was 140 and the lowest number is 1st October which is 13 aspirants.

He notes that they have had only one challenge throughout the process, which was aspirants bringing forms which were incomplete. Like forms missing photos, signatures among others.

He calls upon whoever is remaining to use the extended days to be nominated.

The electoral commission has extended the nomination exercise for more four days that is from Friday 2nd to Monday 5th October, including Saturday and Sunday, after which there will be no further extension.

Stories Continues after ad

270 youth to acquire agricultural entrepreneur skills

Minister Hellen Adoa, FAO country representative Antonio Querido checking the coffee made my Gerald Katabazi (photo by Ronard Shabomwe)

Over two hundred seventy (270) youth agripreneurs-two per district will be selected at district and regional levels. From these, 135 youth will be selected to represent each district in the country and only 35 youth will be selected at national level.

The officials from ministry of fisheries and Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) have advised youth to participate in this initiative in order to transform their lives and the lives of others.

They say that by venturing into agriculture, the youth will be able to employ themselves and as well employ other youths who are unemployed.

Uganda has one of the youngest populations in the world. According to the 2016/17 Uganda national household survey, in 2017, 75.2 percent of the 3.7 million Ugandans then were below the age of 30.

According to Antonio Querido the FAO country representative in Uganda, it becomes challenging for investments and development to generate sufficient decent jobs to absorb the growing young population into the workforce.

Antonio notes that if we are to make substantial progress towards attaining national and global aspirations for sustainable development, it is important to engage and re-engage youth in productive enterprises like agriculture and agribusiness.

He remarks that it is however unfortunate that many capable and productive youth in Uganda tend to shun agriculture due to the risks involved, its intensive nature and low profitability.

Antonio further appeals to the state and stakeholders to support youth to develop skills and insight to engage in farming and adopt environmentally friendly production methods that will help them create jobs for youths and boost their agricultural and agribusiness undertakings.

The state Minister for Fisheries Hellen Adoa said, that the agriculture sector is a great source for employment to the youth and that the ministry in collaboration with FAO, and the ministry of gender labor and social and development has since 2016 embarked on sensitizing and supporting the young generation to join agribusiness.

The officials were speaking during the launch of the second round of youth champions in agriculture competition at Media center early today where they announced that this year 2020, the ministry of Agriculture, animal industry and fisheries together with FAO will hold the second round of the Youth Champions initiative competition and scale up the model into a national youth mentorship program.

Youth championship initiative is a program that is aiming at supporting youth to develop skills and insight to engage in farming and adopt environmentally friendly production methods that will help them create jobs for youths and boost their agricultural and agribusiness undertakings

All the 270 champions will benefit from youth peer-to peer support activities while the district and national champions will attend a weeklong technical training at the national farmers’ leadership center (NFLC). They will also have opportunities to participate in national agricultural exhibitions and dialogues related to youth employment in agriculture.

The forms can be found at office of the district production and marketing officer at all district headquarters, district offices of the Uganda national farmers’ federation and websites of two youth network-young farmers champions network (YOFCHAN) and young farmers’ federation of Uganda (UNYFA)

The first round of the youth champions initiative in 2017, 25 youth agripreneurs from across the country were selected. They received training, financial support to boost their enterprises and networking opportunities to grow their ventures among other rewards.

Gerald Katabazi the CEO of Volcano coffee which is located at forest mall Lugogo is one of the youth who benefited from the first round. He says that youths should forget about the courses they studied if they are not getting what they want so that they venture into agriculture.

Katabazi who is a teacher by profession advises those who want to win the competition to be very first in terms of thinking and innovation and to use the opportunity to engage in agriculture.

Stories Continues after ad

EC extends nomination period for local gov’t councils

EC Chairman Justice Byabakama addressing journalists in Kampala recently

 

The Electoral Commission has extended the nomination period for Local Council from October 1, to October 5.

The EC had set the deadline for nominations for lower councils to today but the high turnup of candidates has seen them push to October 5.

The Electoral Commission  has earlier appointed the period 21st September 21, and October 1, 2020, as the period for conducting nomination of candidates for Local Government Councils Elections 2021.

Accordingly, the nomination of candidates commenced on Monday September 21, 2020, in all the one hundred and forty-six (146) districts/cities across the country and was scheduled to close today, Thursday October 1, 2020.

“However, due to high numbers of aspirants at the nomination centers since the beginning of the exercise, and in accordance with the powers vested in the Commission under Section 50 of the Electoral Commission Act, the Electoral Commission has taken a decision to extend the nomination exercise, which was scheduled to close on Thursday 1st October 2020, for four (4) more days, that is, from Friday 2nd October to Monday 5th October 2020, including Saturday and Sunday, after which, there will be no further extension”.

The nomination exercise will continue to be conducted at the venues indicated below, during the above period, beginning at 9.00 a.m. and ending at 5:00pm on each day.

Below is the program

· District/City Chairpersons and Councilors: 2nd – 5th October, 2020 at the respective district headquarters

· Municipality/City Division Chairpersons and Councilors: 2nd -5th October, 2020 at the respective district headquarters

· Sub County/Town//Municipal Div., Chairpersons and Councilors: 2nd -5th October, 2020 at the respective County headquarters

 

Stories Continues after ad

Cranes players enter camp ahead of trip to Dubai

Cranes in camp before CHAN tournament

Uganda Cranes players have today entered residential camp at Paradise Hotel in Kisasi ahead of the trip to Dubai. The team will fly out this Sunday at 5pm aboard Emirates Airlines for a training camp where they will be joined by the foreign based players.

Upon arrival, the local based players immediately went in for a brief meeting enlightening on the COVID-19 pandemic that was addressed by National Teams Manager Patrick Ntege before he called on Dr. Apollo Ahimbisibwe to take over the floor.

While talking to the players, head coach Johnathan McKinstry urged them to be more vigilant and alert about the guidelines governing COVID-19.

The 13 players and officials have undergone the COVID-19 testing at the team Hotel. Players and team officials have been asked to self isolate for 48 hours until when they fly out this weekend.

The camp has been organised in line with preparations for the 2021 AFCON Qualifiers and the 2020 CHAN Finals to be held in Cameroon next year.

The 13 players in camp at the Cranes Paradise hotel, Kisasi:

Goalkeepers: Charles Lukwago (KCCA FC), Joel Mutakubwa (Kyetume FC), Nafian Alionzi (URA FC)

Outfield players: Milton Karisa (Vipers SC), David Owori (Sports Club Villa), Bright Anukani (KCCA FC), Saidi Kyeyune (URA FC), Paul Mbowa (URA FC), Samuel Kato (KCCA FC), Halid Lwaliwa (Vipers SC), Ibrahim Orit (Vipers SC), Shafiq Kagimu (URA FC), Karim Watambala (Vipers SC)

Officials: Johnathan Mckinstry (Head Coach), Abdallah Mubiru (First Assistant coach), Charles Livingstone Mbabazi (Second Assistant coach), Ibrahim Mugisha (Goalkeeping coach), Nakabago (Team Doctor), Ayub Balyejusa (Equipment Manager), Geoffrey Massa (Team manager), Paul Mukatabala (National Teams Officer), Ronald Lusulire (Media officer).

Stories Continues after ad

Political parties have not received gov’t funding for the past two years – Basalirwa

Bugiri Municipality MP, Asuman Basalirwa

The Chairperson of the Inter-Party Organization on Dialogue (IPOD), Asuman Basalirwa has revealed that political parties have not received funding from the government for the past two years.

Raising on a matter of national importance during a plenary sitting on Wednesday, 30 September 2020, Basalirwa said that the political parties have to carry out their activities in the run up to the general elections in 2021.

“The parties have not received funding from the government for the last two years yet that money was appropriated by Parliament,” Basalirwa who is also JEEMA president said.

The Bugiri Municipality MP said that this is the time that the National Resistance Movement, Forum for Democratic Change, Democratic Party, Uganda People’s Congress and JEEMA require the money to run their campaigns and other activities in the run up to the elections. He called upon the Speaker, Rebecca Kadaga to urge the government to act on their request.

Kadaga directed the Minister for Finance to offer an explanation to the House on why the parties have not been provided with the funds to run their activities.

“We appropriated this money. The Finance minister should come here and explain why this money has not been provided to the parties,” she said.

IPOD is an umbrella organization of the main political parties to promote important and honest discussions. The parties are also represented in the IPOD council, the platform’s main guiding body and they jointly decide on the way forward for the organization.

Stories Continues after ad

Prof Nawangwe unveils contribution channels for restoration of Makerere main building

ivory tower burnt

The Vice Chancellor of Makerere University Prof Barnabas Nawangwe has unveiled the official contribution channels for support towards the restoration of the iconic main administration building known as The Ivory Tower.

Last month the country woke up to sad news of fire gutting the Ivory Tower building. According to the University, the fire started on Saturday night destroying the top floor before the second phase which left the left wing housing human resource and records department razed down.

Speaking earlier today, Nawangwe said; “The University is focusing on 300,000 alumni all over the world who can contribute toward the restoration of the Ivory Tower.”

“In America only, there are 40,000 alumni but the majority of them are here in Uganda. There are also those who worked here and have formed clubs. We have established mechanism through which the alumni can start contributing and we would be grateful if they start contributing,” he said.

In tandem he unveiled two bank accounts in Stanbic Bank where well-wishers will pay through for restoration of Ivory tower.

The bank accounts include; 9030017778608 (USD) and 9030017778535 (UGX). Contributions can also be made through MTN MoMo pay with merchant code 542803.

Stories Continues after ad

Ruparelia Foundation donates to babies at Mulago Hospital

donation at mulago

Ruparelia Foundation, the charitable arm of the Ruparelia Group of Companies has today donated 240 hampers for kids at the pediatric ward in Mulago hospital.

Naiya Ruparelia the Ruparelia Foundation trustee shortly after handing over the hampers said the activity was done to basically put a smile on the children’s face.

“They are very strong children, it’s amazing and some are really strongly fighting for their lives,” she said.

Naiya also noted that the foundation has been carrying out this activity quarterly but hopes to do it monthly once they get more donations from their partners such that they are able to visit different hospitals across the country.

Ruparelia Foundation has over the years worked together with several people championing positive change in different communities across Uganda.

Stories Continues after ad

Monitor journalist struggles with Shs19m Hospital bill as MPL Management remains mute

James Kabengwa

 

James Kabengwa,a journalist with the Daily Monitor, is fighting for his life at Mengo Hospital even as senior management at the Newspaper remains unbothered about his plight.

James Kabengwa has been admitted at the Intensive Care Unit(ICU) of Mengo Hospital for about three weeks now .

His medical bill has since accumulated to over Shs 19m, forcing individual journalists to launch a fundraising drive to cater for his bills.

Journalists have been fundraising to clear his bill using social media platforms like WhatsApp and Facebook.

However,as the indefatigable Kabengwa fights for his dear life,the ugly head of capitalism has reared its head as the Management of Monitor Publications Ltd has not made any effort to save it’s leading City Beat reporter.

Kabengwa is a crucial cog in the Daily Monitor Newsroom as he leads coverage of the City Beat,that focuses on coverage of the Kampala Metropolitan Area,the metropolis where the paper commands it’s major sales.

Kabengwa is a freelance reporter at the Newspaper and is therefore not enrolled on the Company medical scheme

Assistance to Kabengwa can be sent to his colleague Juliet Kigongo through her Mobile Money on  0703797959/0774700310  or Kabengwa’s phone number (0703641137).

 

Stories Continues after ad