FDC-strongman, Dr. Kizza Besigye

Former FDC presidential candidate, Kizza Besigye has threatened not to return to Nakawa Chief Magistrate Court for his treason case.

This was after the State Attorney, Deborah Itwau asked presiding Chief Magistrate Lillian Bucyana to grant the prosecution more time to enable them to “complete investigations” into the case before they can commit Besigye to the High Court to stand trial.

However, Besigye protested this, saying prosecution has been asking for more time to conclude the investigations but it is almost six months and they haven’t completed the investigation. Expressing his fears that he was likely to return to court when investigations are not done again.

Stories Continues after ad

The Magistrate requested him to give them (State) a benefit of doubt. Itwau assured him that his case was coming up for mention because “investigations are in advanced stages”.
The case was adjourned to November 16.However, speaking to journalists after court, Besigye threatened to boycott Nakawa Magistrate’s court “because it has nothing to do with my case”.
“Court cases like I have mentioned are faulty. This case will never be heard in this court. It will be heard in the High Court. I got it from the High Court in this case…for a case that is not yet before the High Court. So I have committed myself to the court that will try me…that will be available at the right time. I don’t see any reason why I continue coming to this court which does not do anything at all, particular to this case.”

Adding “And this is the same for all capital offences across the country. They waste a lot of court time in courts that have no role at all,” he said.
Besigye is accused of swearing-in himself as president at an undisclosed location following the disputed February 18 general elections. The swearing-in was captured on a video clip that was circulated on social media on May 11. According to prosecution, this tantamount to treason. Besigye is now out of prison on bail pending trial.


Website | + posts