The Ministry of Health has allayed fears that there could be an outbreak of Ebola in Luwero district, following the death of a 20-year old female patient who had signs of the deadly disease.
The Director General of Health Services Prof. Anthony Mbonye, in a press release today instead confirmed that the female patient died of carbon-monoxide poisoning identified after the post mortem on her body.
“Results from the Uganda Virus Research Insititute (UVRI) indicate that all cases were negative for Ebola, Marburg, Congo Cremean Hemorrhagic Fever, Rift Valley Fever and Sosuga viruses,” Prof. Mbonye said in the statement.
Three days ago the ministry’s Public Health Emergency Operations Centre (PHEOC) received the report of the dead victim as having high fever, dizziness and blood oozing out of her mouth and eyes, all related to Ebola.
Pro Mbonye further said other three female patients with similar signs are under observation, admitted at Bishop Asili Hospital in Luwero.
“The Ministry of Health team is working closely with the district health team to monitor, review and manage these cases,” Prof. Mbonye said, adding that health workers there were being oriented on management and referral protocol of the suspected cases.
According to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, Ebola has symptoms of fever, severe headache, muscle pain, body weakness, fatigue, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and unexplained bleeding or bruising.
Health experts say symptoms may appear anywhere from 2 to 21 days after exposure to Ebola, but the average is 8 to 10 days.
“Recovery from Ebola depends on good supportive clinical care and the patient’s immune response. People who recover from Ebola infection develop antibodies that last for at least 10 years,” they say.
Ebola, which in the past has hit Uganda hard, spreads through contact with infected persons.