Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
21.2 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 1300

Fufa summons Ben Misagga over match-fixing

Ben Misagga

Former SC Villa President and current President of Nyamityobora FC Immanuel Ben Misagga has been summoned by the FUFA Adjudicatory Chamber of the Ethics Committee over allegations of match fixing as it breaches FUFA competitions rules.

The summon comes after the Commission of Inquiry into Football Officiation officially handed over to FUFA a report on cases of bribery and match fixing in Ugandan football.

In a letter dated May 28, 2019 seen by Eagle Online, the investigation avers that while Ben Misagga was the acting SC Villa President, he attempted to influence a match official so as to obtain an improper advantage for SC Villa during a game in Jinja.

He is said to be in violation of Article 28 of the Fufa Ethics Code on manipulation of football matches or competitions.

The hearing has been scheduled for June 6, 2019 at Fufa House Mengo.

Stories Continues after ad

Gov’t asks Masaka leaders to withdraw suit demanding city status

Jennifer Namuyangu

State Minister for Local Government, Jennifer Namuyangu, has ordered Masaka Municipal Council leaders to withdraw the lawsuit against the state over their demand for city status.

Yesterday, the chairpersons of districts in the greater Masaka region led by Masaka district chairperson Jude Mbabaali filed a lawsuit in the High Court, demanding an explanation why Masaka Municipality is not being elevated to city status, despite having all the necessary requirements.

Last week, government launched the operationalization of five cities that were recently elevated from municipality status. The cities to be include Arua, Mbarara, Gulu, Fort Portal and Jinja. They assume city status in the fiscal year 2019/2020.

The Minister however, said Masaka was considered, only that it will come after the operationalisation of the first selected cities. “Central Uganda was catered for by the current Kampala city, so government had to look in other regions like northern, eastern and other regions therefore, I call upon Jude Mbabaali and other members to withdraw their suit”

Masaka leaders contend that their area is marginalized adding that it was one of the few regions that was supposed to be upgraded to a city status. They averred that Masaka meets all the criteria such as a sewer plant that will supply water in the city and a population of more than 10,000 as it is stipulated in the constitution of Uganda.

Masaka is in the four batch of six cities under studies for elevation to a status and conclusion will be made by the end of financial year 2019/20. The other cities are; Moroto Nakasongola, Soroti, Kabale and Wakiso. They will commence operations in the F/Y 2023/24.

The second batch of two cities which include Mbale and Hoima, the Oil city will be operationalised in the financial year 2021/ 2022 and The Third batch of two Cities that include Lira and Entebbe will be operationalized in the F/ Y 2022/2023.

Stories Continues after ad

Thugs shoot two dead at Nansana Hardware

Patrick Onyanga, police Spokesperson for Kampala Metropolitan said the police will hunt the criminals down.

Robbers have reportedly shot dead two people at Nasana Cheap General Hardware outlet and fled with millions of shillings, police Spokesperson Fred Enanga has confirmed.

The robbery comes just two days after police released a CRIME report for The year 2018 showing crime decreased in volume by 5.2 per cent, where 238,746 cases were registered compared to 252,065 cases registered in 2017.

According to police statement, the robbers were moving on three unidentified motorcycles and three of the robbers were armed with AK47 rifles.

“They shot dead two workers of the said hardware shop who were identified as Jimmy Atikuru (Assistant Manager) and Frank Aruho. Two others were injured and rushed to Mulago Hospital for treatment.” reads the statement signed by Patrick Onyango.

According to police, the thugs who were wearing masks came in at the time when the cashier was about to take the money to the bank.

Stories Continues after ad

CAF suspends Egyptian referee after poor performance in Champions League final

Gehad Grisha

Egyptian referee Gehad Grisha has been suspended for six months following his poor performance in the first leg of the 2019 CAF Champions League final.

Grisha was suspended by Caf after a complaint was made about decisions he made when Wydad Casablanca hosted Esperance de Tunis in Morocco last week.

The Moroccan Football Federation raised the issue with Africa’s governing body after Grisha disallowed the goal for Wydad and failed to award them a penalty, with both decisions made after consulting with VAR.

Caf said in a statement; “Following the first of leg of the Total Champions League final match played on 24th may 2019 between Wydad Athletic Club (Morocco) and Esperance de Tunis, the referees committee of the Confederation Africain de Football has decided to suspend Mr. Gehad Grisha for a period of six (06) months due to poor performance.”

This means that he will also miss the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in his home country.

Grisha is an experienced international referee since 2008, and was selected for the 2018 World Cup in Russia and took charge of England’s group-stage victory over Panama.

Wydad last lifted Caf Champions League trophy in 2017 while Esperance are the defending champions.

The second leg is due to take place on Friday 31st May at the Olympic Stadium in Tunis, with the scores level at 1-1.

Stories Continues after ad

Late Nsibambi: The man who revolutionized public service through timekeeping

Prof. Nsibambi receiving his boss then president Museveni at a government function.

Yesterday the news of Prof Apolo Robin Nsibambi breathing his last shocked the nation and nationals are mourning the big loss of the famous statesman.

Prof. Nsibambi who was an academic, served as the 8th Prime Minister of Uganda from April 5, 1999 until May 24, 2011 when Amama Mbabazi replaced him.

As Prime Minister Nsibambi kept on urging public servants to report to work on time and somehow the sluggish public service then improved. He did that by example, something he said he had grown with.

To him reporting to work late was a form of corruption and indiscipline which went against the Public Service Standing Orders. The officers were used to reporting late to work and leaving office early.

He also urged public servants to be productive by not keeping out of office during working hours. Before he assumed role of prime minster, some public officials had made it a habit to dodge official work in favour of private engagements.

Nsibambi always worked to have an effective public service that would meet the expectations of Ugandans. He always wanted Ugandans to receive best services but that would only be achieved when civil servants were at their best.

Nsibambi unlike other top government steered clear of corruption and embezzlement of public funds through dubious deals.

Nsibambi as leader of government business during his tenure as prime minister did his job well while defending government policies, actions and programmes. He never clashed with members of parliament and always tried to respond their queries.

The late professor also had issues with what he referred to as too many public holidays in Uganda. “Public Holidays are creating problems, I am disgusted with too many public holidays and I hope one day we shall be able to reduce them by 50 percent,” Nsibambi while speaking at the Uganda Revenue Authority’s Tax Appreciation Day at Serena Hotel years ago.

Nsibambi despite his advanced age, was a regular at Namirembe Cathedral where his seat was reserved on the front row.

Despite serving the NRM government, Nsibambi never at any time hurled insults at leaders of the opposition political parties. He always concentrated on his work as prime minister and never involved himself in NRM activities.

Nsibambi was known for his categorization of poverty beyond the conventional poverty. He always talked of mental poverty, academic poverty among others.

In 2017, Nsibambi advised his former boss President Yoweri Museveni to leave power and rest. “Enough is enough, amending age limit not necessary,” Nsibambi said. “Leading a country is such a complicated task for an under-aged or over-aged persons,” he added.

Stories Continues after ad

Parliament to pay respect to Prof. Nsibambi as burial is on Tuesday

President Museveni ,First Lady, Janet Museveni and other national leaders at the home of late Prof. Nsibambi.

The family of the late former Prime Minister, Prof Apolo Robins Nsibambi, has said that his body will on Friday be taken to parliament for legislators to pay tribute for his contribution in the development of Uganda.

Nsibambi died yesterday evening at his home in Rubaga moments after he called his assistants to help him as he wanted to easy himself.

According to his Wife Esther Nsibambi, the deceased has been suffering from prostate cancer, a disease that has disturbed him for a good time.

Alluding to information obtained from Geofrey Ziiwa the Spokesperson of the family, the body will be laid to rest on Tuesday June 4, 2019 at his ancestral home in Buloba along Mityana Road.

He said there will always be prayers services at his home starting from today until Monday, a day when the body will be returned ahead of his burial.

“Church of Uganda is still in meetings to decide when his body will be taken at either Namirembe cathedral or All saints church. He is also expected to be taken to Makerere University where he served in various capacities including the chancellor,” he said.

Earlier the President Yoweri Museveni accompanied by his wife Janet Museveni visited the bereaved family and vowed to work with them throughout this trial moment. He had a closed door meeting with Esther Nsibambi and other family members.

Nsibambi served as the dean of Faculty of Social Science at Makerere University from 1978 until 1983 and from 1985 until 1987. He was appointed head of the Department of Political Science at Makerere University in 1987, a position he held until 1990. He was Director of the Makerere Institute of Social Research from 1994 to 1996.

Between 1996 and 1998, he served as Minister of Public Service in the Uganda Cabinet. In 1998 he was appointed Minister of Education and Sports, serving in that capacity until 1999 when he was appointed Prime Minister and Leader of Government Business in Parliament.

Stories Continues after ad

COSASE should not be hoodwinked to allow BoU account for Shs478b misused in Crane Bank takeover

COSASE chairperson, Mubaraka Munyagwa.

Yesterday parliament’s Committee on Commissions, Statutory Authorities and State Enterprises (COSASE) sent away top Bank of Uganda (BoU) officials from parliament for not coming with required documents to support the use of Shs478 billion the central bank says it injected into defunct Crane Bank Limited (CBL) as liquidity support while under receivership.

The officials who included Deputy Governor DR Louis Kasekende had gone to parliament unprepared to the extent that no BoU accountant was on their team, something that angered MPs.

BoU officials say they injected that money in CBL during the receivership period that spanned from October 20, 2016 to January 25, 2017 when BoU sold some of the assets and liabilities of CBL to Dfcu Bank at only Shs200 billion, moreover paid in installments. BoU had closed CBL due to undercapitalisation.

During the first COSASE probe on BoU, MPs failed to get all documents related to how the money was used, something that had been highlighted in Auditor General John Muwanga’s special audit report of BoU on defunct banks. There is no clear information on who auhtorised and received the money.

That forced MPs to order for a special audit probe on Shs478b. The Auditor General who did the audit established that about Shs320 billion was unaccounted for by BoU officials. It is now surprising that the new COSASE still wants BoU to account for the money which the Auditor General a professional in auditing and accounting said was missing.

Of importance also is that the Auditor General declined to redo the audit of the Shs478 billion after BoU Deputy Governor requested that he does so. The Auditor General said then that only parliament could order him to do that task especially that in the first audit BoU officials failed to present all the related documents.

The current COSASE under MP Mubarak Munyagwa should instead go by what the report by their predecessors said on that money that BoU loaned itself as the receiver of CBL. It appears BoU officials missed that money anticipating that CBL shareholders would pay it as a penalty but MPs at the time of the first probe argued that BoU which acted as lender and borrower could not transfer that responsibility to parties that were not involved in the transaction.

During the first probe of BoU a senior BoU official Benedict Sekabira said that even though the bank had claimed it used Shs478 billion as liquidity support to CBL in receivership, only Shs150 billion was required to keep the former lender operating.

CBL shareholders led by Sudhir Ruparelia say they cannot pay the money that it is not reflected anywhere on CBL accounts and in any case, the said money was reportedly injected into Crane Bank after takeover and therefore, BoU should explain who exactly received the money. That has made BoU look for all possible ways of accounting for the money even though they failed to do that earlier. That means the information they want to present could have been “doctored” to suit their interests, especially that there is a related case in court.

The new COSASE should therefore not hoodwinked into accepting the new accountability of Shs478 billion. Instead the MPs should question BoU officials as to why they failed to account for the money during the first probe where it was believed certain documents related to the use of the money were intentionally hidden.

MP Munyagwa’s committee should still question BoU as to why they hid some documents related to the use of the money. It should not allow that BoU accounts for that money afresh. It would be foolery.

Stories Continues after ad

Gays want anti-homosexuality law enacted

George Oundo

Members of the gay community in Uganda want the anti-homosexuality law 2014 re-tabled in Parliament.

George Oundo, the chairperson of the gay community in Uganda, petitioned the Speaker of Parliament, Rebecca Kadaga, saying that the Bill will help create awareness about the sexual orientation.

“If this Bill is re-tabled, it will help expose the extent of the moral breakdown especially with the children and the youth. We aim at promoting moral and spiritual values since they are just recruited and not born as gays or lesbians,” Oundo said.

The gay community requested for a meeting with the President to explain their experiences during the period they practiced homosexuality.

“After the Bill was annulled we were scheduled to meet with the President but this did not happen. We are requesting that we get to meet him and we explain the pain we are going through medically and also the stigma we face from the community,” he said.

The Speaker said that she would arrange for a meeting with the President. “I am very interested to know what the courts of law in Kenya ruled in a similar case. As for meeting with the President, I shall make sure I schedule a meeting with him and share your plight,” Kadaga said.

The Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Act, 2014 was passed by Parliament on 20 December 2013 with life in prison substituted for the death penalty. Whereas it was signed into law by President Yoweri Museveni on 24 February 2014, the Constitutional Court on 1 August 2014 annulled the law citing that it was passed without the required quorum in the House.

Stories Continues after ad

Ugandan striker Umar Kasumba eyes golden boot on KPL final day

Umar Kasumba

The 2018/19 SportPesa Premier League season comes to an end on Wednesday with nine matches scheduled to be played in different venues. All matches will kick off at the same time.

The golden boot winner of the 2018/19 Kenyan Premier League (KPL) is expected to be determined on the final day when Sofapaka FC hosts Kakamega Homeboyz at the Mbaraki Sports club on Wednesday 29 May.

Sofapaka’s Umaru Kasumba with 17 goals, has a goal less than the Current top scorer Allan Wanga (18) who features for Homeboyz.

The two teams will be up against each other with both players hoping that Ulinzi stars striker Enosh Ochieng also on 17 goals does not add on his tally.

Kasumba will need to score a brace and hopes his defenders don’t let his competitor score so that he clinches the Golden Boot in his first season with the Kenyan side.

The Ugandan forward already clinched the Sportpesa player of the month in the Kenyan Premier League two times this season – in February and April 2019.

His goals have helped Sofapaka lie third on the 18-table log with one game left to play.

Kasumba is a top contender for the SportPesa Kenyan Premier League Player of the Season for his performances produced this season.

He was awarded KSh 100,000 by club sponsors Betika for his standout performances in the 2018/2019 league season.

The striker featured for SC Villa Jogoo and Police FC before making a move to Sofapaka in Kenya.

The Ugandan is also rumoured to be headed to Germany for trials after this season.

Meanwhile, the Ugandan trio of Erisa Ssekisambu, Shafiq Batambuze and Hashim Sempala sealed the title with Gor Mahia on Saturday with two games left to play after reaching the 70 points mark, when they went eight above second-placed Bandari United.

Attachments area

Stories Continues after ad

Final Cranes squad to COSAFA tournament named

Players in training

The final Uganda Cranes COSAFA bound team has been confirmed and only one foreign-based player makes the cut.

Egyptian based forward Daniel Isiagi who leads the forward line at Al Nasir FC is the only foreign based player on the team.

Twenty players have been named, with two goalkeepers, seven defenders seven midfielders as well as four forwards.

Isaac Isinde will captain the team while Muzamiru Mutyaba will act as his deputy.

The team departs from Entebbe International Airport on Wednesday afternoon for South Africa.

Abdallah Mubiru will handle the team and be deputized by Charles Livingstone Mbabazi.

The team has been in residential training for the last 2 weeks and played a practice match with Western Region Select team which ended 1-0 in favour of Cranes in Bushenyi.

Uganda will be the guest country at this year’s COSAFA Cup tournament in Durban from May 25th to June 8th, 2019 and were drawn to face Lesotho in the quarter finals on June 1st.

The 2019 COSAFA Cup will be the 19th edition of the COSAFA Cup, an international football competition consisting of national teams of member nations of the Council of Southern Africa Football Associations (COSAFA).

The squad

Goalkeepers: Charles Lukwago (KCCA FC), James Alitho (URA FC).

Defenders: Paul Willa (Police FC), Kizza Mustafa (KCCA FC), Revita John (Express FC), Isinde Isaac (K-Jinja S), Hassan Musana (KCCA FC) and Mujuzi Mustafa (Proline FC), Mbowa Paul Patrick (URA FC).

Midfielders: Muzamiru Mutyaba (KCCA FC), Kagimu Shafik Kuchi (URA FC), Kasozi Nicolas (KCCA FC), Kayiwa Allan (Tooro United FC), Balinya Juma (Police FC), Mucureezi Paul (Mbarara City FC), Anukani Bright (Proline FC).

Strikers: Senkatuka Nelson (Bright Stars FC), Serunkuuma Dan (Vipers SC), Birungi Komunda Micheal (Express FC) and Isiagi Opolot Daniel (Al Nasir)

COSAFA Championship

Saturday 1st June 2019

Uganda Vs Lesotho

Durban, South Africa

Attachments area

Stories Continues after ad