Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
19 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 1691

Police in search for missing State Attorney

ISSUED RELEASE! Police Spokesperson Emilian Kayima

Police have intensified the search for Principle State Attorney in the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions who went missing over a month ago.
According to Police spokesperson, Emilian Kayima, State Attorney Fatuma Nabiwemba Sebandagire went missing last month and up to now neither police nor her family knows her whereabouts.
Mr Kayima informed journalists at a press briefing on Monday at Central Police Station in Kampala that flying squad was searching for Sebandangire and it has got clues that she might still be alive.

”The flying squad department of police is in touch with the family and husband to the State Attorney to establish her whereabouts,” said Kayima.
“Whoever has any helpful information should avail it to police so that it can help us in our investigations,” Kayima appealed.
He also that police has some got some useful clues already and there are some possible indications that she is still alive.
Prior to her disappearance she was working as the Inspection and Quality Assurance officer at DPP in Kampala.
Her disappearance came at a time when cases of kidnapping people have become common in Kampala.
Notable among them was when the Chief Accountant of Case Clinic who was kidnapped and later found dead on January 2, after being burnt beyond recognition.

Stories Continues after ad

Court of Appeal sends former NSSF MD Jamwa back to jail

Jamwa

Court of Appeal has this morning sent David Chandi Jamwa, former Managing Director NSSF back to the coolers after throwing out his application to have his 12 year jail sentence set aside.
Mr Jamwa was found guilty of selling National Social Security Fund (NSSF) bonds to the now defunct Crane Bank before their maturity date which caused financial loss to the fund to the tune of Shs3.1billion
He appealed the ruling challenging the late Anti-Corruption Court Judge John Bosco’s Katutsi’s judgment, where he convicted him of causing financial loss and abuse office. Justice Katutsi also banned Jamwa for 10 years from holding any public office.
However, the appellant judges, Kenneth Kakuru and Opiyo Aweri, today agreed with the late Katusti saying that he properly evaluated and reached the right decision and conclusion in convicting the troubled former NSSF Managing Director.
The two judges observed that Jamwa as well aware that selling government treasury bonds to Crane bank before their maturity date would cause financial loss to NSSF but instead insisted on authorizing the sale. They actually added another four years for abuse of office, which sentences are supposed to be served concurrently.
It was only Justice Steven Kavuma who dissented with his colleagues.
Important to note is that since Mr Jamwa has been out on bail for seven years since 2011, Mr Jamwa will only serve 5 years in jail since bail time is also considered to be part of the sentence.

Stories Continues after ad

Kampala Parents’ attributes good performance to teamwork

The Principal of KPS Daphne Kato (R) congratulates one of the candidates who scored Aggregate Four.

Kampala Parents Principal, Ms Daphine Kato has implored parents to secure admissions for their children following glorious performance exhibited in the 2017 PLE results.
The Naguru-based school registered 197 first grades out of the 256 candidates who sat for the national exams last year.
Speaking to EagleOnline, Ms Kato attributed their success to the good working relationship with both students and parents, and the school’s commitment to render service. “School management is ready to welcome you, and I can promise, students will perform better than last year’s results’’. She said.
Ms Kato that as teachers and KPS management, they pay attention on each pupil’s ability and that make it is easy to understand every child’s needs.

Kampala Parents’ proprietor Sudhir Ruparelia posing for a photo with some of the pupils who scored aggregate four. It is a traditional for Sudhir to reward the best performers at KPS.

“We look at an individual child when it comes to teaching that is why we performed very well, I advise parents to be fully involved in the performance of their children and not only letting them watch television from morning to evening during this holiday instead let them do some domestic work, revision of their books’’.Ms Kato said
She lauded Mr. Sudhir Ruparelia the proprietor of the school and Mr. Rajiv Ruparelia the Managing Director, students themselves, parents and teachers for work well-done.
“Children must appreciate what we go through, check on their discipline because we are grooming them for the future, discipline is so important, when you want performance then you must concentrate on discipline because it is the key to success”

Stories Continues after ad

Uganda Law Society in court over age limit law

Uganda Law Society has petitioned the Constitutional Court challenging the just enacted Age limit act.
ULS through its president Francis Gimara President has today petitioned Constitutional Court reasoning that the extension of parliament and local councils to seven years was unconstitutional.
Hardly a week after it was controversially passed by parliament, President Yoweri Museveni signed the bill into an Act last December. The Act gives a president room to rule until he feels he tired.
In December last year 317 legislators voted for amendment as 97 voted against the expunging of both the lower and upper presidential age limit that was capped at 35 and 75 years and increasing their terms in office from five to seven years and reinstating term limits that were removed by the seventh parliament in 2005.
‘’Article (8) which is yet to become an act extending legislators term in offices to two years which is inconsistent with and contravenes with article one which vests powers in hands of Ugandans, article 77(4) and 96 of the constitution’’. Part of the petition reads.
The Attorney General is yet come to challenge the petition to answer all circumstances surrounding the process of enacting age limit law, petitioners wants the law be annulled on grounds that the process of enacting the bill was marred with violence, assault of legislators, storming of Special Forces Command (SFC) in parliamentary chambers and violations of human rights which among others contradicts with parliamentary rules and procedures.
The petitioners contend that by this law the Electoral Commission will be required to organize separate elections of both legislators and the president due to unconstitutional divergence form from the usual five years of legislators to seven.

Stories Continues after ad

South Africa summons US official over Trump slur

South Africa’s foreign office has summoned the deputy chief of mission at the US embassy in the capital, Pretoria over President Trump’s derogatory remark about African countries.
Mr Trump reportedly referred to states in the continent as “shithole countries” during a discussion about an immigration policy.
He has now told reporters: “I am not a racist. I’m the least racist person you have ever interviewed.”
A statement from the South African foreign office says that it aligns itself with the statement issued by the African Union.
The continent’s top body expressed its “shock, dismay and outrage” over the comments and called on Mr Trump to apologise.
South Africa said that relations between the country and the US must be based on mutual respect.
Namibia, Botswana and Ghana are some of the African countries that have issued strong statement condemning Mr Trump.

Stories Continues after ad

Umeme commissions the Ishaka substation

As a way of improving power reliability and quality of supply in the Western region, Umeme has invested about US$1,470,000 in the construction and improvement of the Ishaka substation.
Last weekend, Umeme commissioned the Ishaka substation with focus on restoration and expansion of the grid, reduction in energy losses, improvements in efficiencies, connections of new customers to the grid, improving service delivery, reliability of supply and public safety.
Being completely an outdoor substation, it has a 5MVA power transformer, with two 33kV incomer Interconnectors from Mbarara North and Nkenda Substations.


There is also a one 33 kV outgoing interconnector to Rukungiri Substation, Kanungu, Ferdsult and finally to Ishasha generation plant. With 11kV outgoing line that splits into two after leaving the substation to feed Ishaka town and Tea estates 11 kV feeders.
Previous the substation posed several challenges ranging from reliability issues, operating issues, safety concerns and maintenance challenges.


Therefore, Umeme re-design the substation to allow future expansion, constructed a plant control house at the substation to house the switchgear, metering equipment, DC system and SCADA, install indoor switchgear for both 33kV and 11Kv, installed AC and DC auxiliary systems and laid underground cables to decongest the substation
The substation will be monitored by SCADA an intelligence network watchdog. This will help in detecting faults on the network and help in quick supply restoration, reduction in outages, Automated Meter Reading (AMR) for large consumer users, e-bills and SMS bills, all of which have offered customers a new lot of customer experience by giving them the power to manage and control their consumption and bills.
The benefits of these investment is evidenced by improved system reliability, network reliability, improved safety, reduction in energy losses, increased customer connections and the deployment of technological innovations thus offering new customer experience

Stories Continues after ad

Liberia ruling party expels President Johnson Sirleaf

MONROVIA (Reuters) – Liberia’s ruling Unity Party has expelled the country’s outgoing president, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, whom they accuse of meddling in last year’s presidential elections in which its candidate suffered a bruising defeat.
Johnson Sirleaf, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate who has been in power for 12 years, denies the party’s allegations that she held inappropriate private meetings with election magistrates before the Oct. 10.
Four other party officials were also expelled, the party said in a statement distributed on Sunday.
“The behaviour of the expelled persons … constitutes sabotage and undermined the existence of the party,” said the statement announcing the decision, which was taken by the party’s executive committee late on Saturday.
Former football star George Weah defeated the Unity Party’s Joseph Boakai in a landslide, marking the first democratic transition of power in Liberia – a nation founded by freed American slaves – in over 70 years.
Johnson Sirleaf was not allowed to run for re-election due to constitutional term limits. A split between her and Boakai burst into the open during the campaign.
The statement said Johnson Sirleaf and the other members had violated rules, including a requirement to support all Unity Party candidates in elections.
Weah will be sworn in later this month.

Stories Continues after ad

Kwese TV boss is Africa’s newest billionaire

NEW BILLIONAIRE: Zimbabwe businessman Strive Masiyiwa

Kwese Television boss and telecom tycoon Strive Masiyiwa has become Zimbabwe’s first billionaire. According to a report by Forbes, Masiyiwa, 57 is now worth $1.7 billion.

Masiyiwa controls Econet Group, a Zimbabwe-listed mobile phone company that also has investments in financial services, insurance, e-commerce, renewable energy, education, Coca-Cola bottling, hospitality and payment gateway solutions.

Econet also has a Pay television outfit, Kwesé TV, which is already competing favorably across Africa with Naspers’ DSTV. Shares of the company have surged in value over the past year. In July last year, Liquid Telecom, a subsidiary of Econet Group successfully raised $700 million in a bond and term loan financing package from international financiers.

Masiyiwa founded Econet in 1993, but was granted a telephony license by the Zimbabwean government in 1998, at a time when 70% of the country inhabitants had never heard a ringtone. He and his wife, Tsitsi, are the founders of the Higher Life Foundation which pays the school fees of over 40,000 students across the Primary, High school and Tertiary levels.

In February 2013, Tsitsi and her husband established the Ambassador Andrew Young Scholarship, a $6.4 million dollar scholarship fund that sends African students to attend the Morehouse College in the United States.

The fund is named after Ambassador Andrew Young, a former United States Ambassador to the United Nations, who is renowned for his vanguard role in the international Civil Rights Movement.

Stories Continues after ad

Uganda: Rosebud dominates flower exports

Rosebud managers inspecting the gardens.

When Zimbabwe crumbled and halted dominating the export of flowers to Europe, Rosebud, Uganda’s largest exporter of roses commanding around 35 per cent of Uganda’s rose-export market, popped out to fill the gaps, according to the publication by the East African Business Week.

“Rosebud has a high regard for quality which has reinforced the company as the major resort in the Ugandan market for buyers across the world,” says director Meera Ruparelia. “The greenhouses cover a total of 42 hectares producing and exporting over 9 million stems per month.”

Commanding 40 per cent of the roses export, the company based in Entebbe, remains the country’s largest exporter of the product. The greenhouses on the farm covers a total of 50 hectares producing and exporting over 12 million stems per month.
Rosebud is owned by Uganda’s wealthiest businessman Sudhir Ruparelia

Stories Continues after ad

T and M up lifts educational standards in Manafwa district

SUCCESS: The T and M Director Michael Tumwa

Despite the eastern region not performing well in the just-released 2017 Primary Leaving Examinations (PLE), candidates of T and M Bright Nursery and Primary School have excelled, emerging the best performers in Manafwa District.

Some of the best-performing candidates who scored Aggregate 6 at T and M Bright Nursery and Primary School

In the results which were released by the Ministry of Education and Sports in conjunction with UNEB, the school got 46 first grades out the 56 who registered, with the rest getting second grade.

According to the T and M Director Michael Tumwa, the success registered is a result of team work among parents, teaching and non-teaching staff and members of the surrounding community.

“The performance is excellent because it reflects an 80% rate so we feel very great because our pupils have done us proud by performing excellently in the district, region and whole country at large,” Mr Tumwa said.

PRODUCING EXCELLENT PERFORMERS: The T and M school complex

He also lauded the hard work and discipline exhibited by both the teachers and pupils, saying that had enabled them to cover the syllabus in line with national curriculum.

“I urge the parents to take their children to good secondary schools where they can have academic continuity given the back ground that they have acquired,” Mr. Tumwa said, and also urged parents to continue bringing their children to the school to get quality education.

 

 

Stories Continues after ad