Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
19.3 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 1907

Ugandan philantropist rejuvenates hope for young heart patients

Ugandan philanthropist and celebrated fashionista Monica Agoa Akiiki, (right) visits a patient in Mulago Hospital during her previous visit to the country.

Ugandan philanthropist and celebrated fashionista Monica Agoa Akiiki, the founder of the Keith Heart Foundation, has launched yet another campaign to save children with heart ailments.

Based in the UK, Monica Akiiki has been helping children with heart problems for four years now, and says she is back in the country to create awareness about the disease as well as raise funds for the organization.

She is to start with a car washing campaign at Panamera Bar and Restaurant, with the proceeds going towards helping children with heart-related illnesses, to help them access surgeries in India UK and Germany.

Monica Akiiki, who partners with institutions in UK and Uganda to provide medical expertise, will thereafter visit Mulago hospital and extend a helping hand like she has always done in the past years.

The Keith Heart Foundation works to improve the quality of care and information availed to families of children with heart conditions, especially those who cannot effort the costly treatment.

 

Stories Continues after ad

DP to join anti-SIM card registration activists

DP President Norbert Mao

The Democratic Party (DP) is set to join citizens who plan to lodge a case against the seven-day ultimatum for SIM card registration, announced by the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) last week.

“All people who registered for the national IDs gave in their details including contacts, why does UCC give us these seven days; there are some other forms of identification rather than national identity cards like pass ports and driving licence, and I denounce that UCC directive,” DP President General Norbert Mao said during a press conference today.

Already, controversial activist Norman Tumuhimbise, previously linked to the dropping of ‘yellow piglets’ at Parliament to protest against youth joblessness, has lodged an injunction in court, seeking to stop the UCC from enforcing the SIM card registration.

‘An interim order doth issue restraining the Respondent, and the telecommunications service providers the Respondent regulates, from enforcing or implementing the directive of SIM CARD subscriber details update/verification by Thursday 20/04/2017 or recognizing the National Identity Card as the sole document of identity until the final determination of the main application for a temporary injunction,’ a communication from the High Court Civil Division indicates.

Meanwhile, according to Mao, the DP is also planning to honour its founding President General Benedicto Kiwanuka by constructing a Shs7 billion building and naming it after him.

Making the announcement, Mao said the move to build Ben Kiwanuka House is part of the party’s 2016-2021 strategic plan. Ben Kiwanuka, the first DP President General, was killed by former president Idi Amin in 1971.

“We already have Shs250 million in cash and pledges among members and people of good will,” Mao said, adding: “thinking is not our problem in DP and we have never lacked ideas, the only challenge we face is team work.”

Mao also said the party would soon declare it audited accounts.

“DP accounts are audited by the Office of the Auditor General and soon our financial report will be out. This is contrary to what used to happen before since I never found such arrangement in DP,” he said.

 

Stories Continues after ad

‘Pigs’ activist Tumuhimbise sues UCC over SIM card registration

INJUNCTION: The court communication to UCC

Norman Tumuhimbise, the man allegedly behind the dropping of ‘yellow piglets’ at Parliament is at it again; he has sued the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) seeking to stop the telecommunications regulator from enforcing the de-activation of SIM cards.

An announcement declaring Norman Tumuhimbise as a ‘missing person’

‘An interim order doth issue restraining the Respondent, and the telecommunications service providers the Respondent regulates, from enforcing or implementing the directive of SIM CARD subscriber details update/verification by Thursday 20/04/2017 or recognizing the National Identity Card as the sole document of identity until the final determination of the main application for a temporary injunction,’ a communication from the High Court Civil Division indicates.

Tumuhimbise, who has sued UCC jointly with Rights Trumpet Limited, is no stranger to controversy and first came to the limelight in 2015 when he led a shadowy umbrella group, the Jobless Brotherhood, to drop piglets coloured in yellow, the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) colour, at Parliament.

At the time the group’s actions were informed by their lack of jobs. Then in 2016 the Jobless Brotherhood took on Parliamentarians, criticizing the insistence of MPs to acquire state-of-the-art cars at a cost of Shs200m each.

Stories Continues after ad

Katikiro renews calls for land title registration in Buganda

Katikiro Charles Peter Mayiga

The Katikiro Charles Peter Mayiga has launched a campaign aimed at issuing land titles to all Buganda Kingdom tenants at a discount of 20%.

According to Katikiro Mayiga, the move to be executed in six months follows a directive issued by Kabaka Ronald Muwenda Mutebi, as a means of further bridging his relationship with tenants. He said prioritization will be given to those whose land has already been surveyed by the Buganda Land Board (BLB).

“Over 130,000 plots so far have been surveyed by Buganda Land Board and these are due for titling. Ownership of a kibanja does not give one leeway to extend his occupancy beyond agreed boundaries,” Katikiro Mayiga told journalists at the seat of the Kingdom in Bulange, Mengo.

He added: “Through this process, we will secure tenancy of occupants and eliminate probability of eviction.”

Over the years, Buganda has experienced land disputes, the most recent and pronounced one being between musician Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine and the Buganda Land Board following the demolition of the singer’s Busabala Beach parking yard.

Meanwhile, the Katikiro also advised those planning to pay to BLB to do so electronically in a bid to avoid inconveniences that might arise out of queuing.

 

 

 

Stories Continues after ad

Museveni aide Rwakakamba resigns

I AM OUT: The resignation letter by Morrison Rwakakamba.

Morrison Rwakakamba, the head of the Government Citizen Interaction Centre (GCIC) in the Ministry of ICT and National Guidance, has resigned.

RESIGNED: Mr Morrison Rwakakamba, the outgoing Director of the Government Citizen Interaction Centre (GCIC)

In a letter dated April 18 addressed to President Yoweri Museveni, the youthful Special Presidential Assistant on Research and Information indicated he had decided to join the private sector.

‘I have made a decision to rejoin non-State sector and focus on agricultural production, public policy inquiry and international public interest consulting’, wrote Rwakakamba, who joined the Public Service in 2013.

Rwakakamba, one of the few public servants in Uganda to resign, copied his resignation letter to the Secretary Office of the President, the Auditor General and Secretary Public Service Commission.

Stories Continues after ad

Oulanyah rallies African Americans to restore ties with Africa

RESET TIES WITH AFRICA: Deputy Speaker Jacob Oulanyah addresses delegates at the Reset America Reset Africa Conference in St. Louis Illinois, US, on April 14 2017.

The Rt. Hon. Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Jacob Oulanyah, has tasked African Americans to re-evaluate their links with the continent and restore the hopes of those in need.

In his address to delegates at the Reset America Reset Africa Conference in St. Louis Illinois, US, on April 14 2017, Oulanyah reaffirmed the need for nations to repair the old bridges of cooperation damaged by policies and wars.

“We come here as bridge builders. We need to repair the old bridges of humanity damaged through policies and state relationships. We need to change our attitude and give hope to those in need,” he told the delegates.

The Speaker noted that although States had built walls to separate people, the blood that joins humanity has always prevailed to bring peace. He attributed wars and conflicts to the absence of hope for the marginalized.

Oulanyah rallied the local communities in St. Louis to consider investment in Africa.

“Uganda is one of the blessed countries in the world. It’s the source of the Nile but also provides innumerable opportunities for investment,” he added.

In a separate meeting with Emeka Jackson Hicks, Oulanyah noted the need for technical expertise to enable Kampala city adopt a community based approach to development.

The Parliament delegation that included MPs Jacob Oboth Oboth (West Budama County South), Fred Mwesigye (Nyabushozi County), Abiriga Abdallah (Arua Municipality), Macho Geoffrey (Busia Municipality) and Aisha Ssekindi (Kalungu) also explored opportunities for cooperation with St. Elizabeth Hospital and Harris Stowe University.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Don Jazzy, ‘Dorobucci’ Group to perform in Uganda

HEADE FOR UGANDA: Nigerian music promoter Don Jazzy

‘Dorobucci’ took us to the dance-floor, ‘Adaobi’ gave us some really good vibes, ‘Looku Looku’ shut those haters up for us and now the Mavin’s crew, which comprises of Tiwa Savage, Dr Sid, D Prince, Korede Bello, Reekado Banks, Dija and the big boss himself Don Jazzy will be performing in Uganda this year.

According to our sources, Nigeria’s biggest music group will perform at the Lugogo Cricket Oval, but the date and entry fees are yet to be revealed.

Of the members of the group, only Tiwa Savage has ever performed in Uganda, having graced the Women’s Day celebrations of 2015.

It ought to be remembered that another Mavin Records signed artiste, Iyanya will also be performing in Kampala this year.

We will keep you updated as more details drop in.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Japan begins troop withdrawal from war-torn South Sudan

Japanese soldiers from the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) are processed by an immigration officer as they withdraw from their mission in South Sudan's capital Juba, April 17, 2017. REUTERS/Stringer

Japan has started withdrawing its troops from a UN mission in war-battered South Sudan, a move coinciding with escalating violence in a conflict where killings have been described as genocide.

The 350-strong Japanese military contingent, which has been based in South Sudan’s capital Juba for the past five years, has been mostly helping with infrastructure construction.

“The first group is leaving today,” Daniel Dickinson, spokesman for the U.N. peacekeeping mission, UNMISS, said moments before the troops were due to board their flight at Juba International Airport.

Dickinson said the Japanese contingent would leave in three batches and that the group that was due to leave Monday had 68 troops.

Deadly violence, often driven by ethnic hatred, has gripped South Sudan since 2013 when fighting broke out between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and his political foe Riek Machar, whom he sacked as vice president.

A 2015 peace deal ended that conflict and Machar was early last year restored to his vice presidency position. However, persistent animus between the two men finally exploded into fresh fighting in July.

Episodes of mass violence — especially in the equatorial region of South Sudan — have been growing, with surviving civilian witnesses reporting government troops turning up in towns and starting shooting rampages.

The UK has described the killings and other atrocities in South Sudan as genocide, although the UN has not yet made that determination.

South Sudan’s government spokesman, Ateny Wek Ateny, said the departure of Japanese troops was welcomed because ‘the government of South Sudan is able to control the country’.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Buganda politicians meet Bobi Wine as he threatens to drag Mengo to Court

Mukono Municipality legislator, Betty Nambooze.

Senior politicians from Buganda kingdom have met with singer Robert Kyagulanyi popularly known as Bobi Wine over the ongoing rift between him and the kingdom.

We have reliably learnt that Bobi Wine together with his big brother, Fred Nyanzi met with Democratic Party Vice President for l Buganda, Betty Namboze, Legislators, Medard Ssegona and Mathias Mpuuga at Lavanda Hotel, Lugala.

Top on agenda was finding a way of resolving the dispute without further clashes between Bobi Wine and the kingdom.

The politicians, also together with musician Ronald Mayinga pledged to mediate between the two camps.

This comes up following Bobi Wine’s statement that dismissed the Kingdom’s earlier statement as a collection of lies and falsehoods.

In fact, he said the statement by the Buganda’s Spokesperson, Owek Kiyimba left him with no option apart from seeking justice from Court.

“I believe that what is happening to me is also happening to many
other local people who are occupying His Highness the Kabaka’s land. I believe that such violations of people’s rights and impunity on the part of Mengo officials should not continue- our Kingdom stands for values which include justice and respect”. Bobi Wine wrote.

Adding “We have for a long time been condemning injustice in our country. We cannot condone it in the affairs of OUR OWN KINGDOM,” reads part of his statement.

“I have seen those allegations being made. As a matter of fact,
officials from Mengo have often sent people who park their vehicles at One Love Beach during the day and in the night go and carry out demolitions and evictions around Busabala. Some people seeing that the vehicles came from the Beach falsely accused me of evicting them and I kept quiet out of humility and respect for my Kingdom and its officials. Therefore, I have never illegally evicted anyone from land in Busabala. To the Kingdom officials- please stop committing injustices on your own people, while you hide behind His Highness the Kabaka.”

Bobi Wine said he is open to dialogue, but wouldn’t hesitate to go to Court if the matter is not resolved amicably.

“Although it was not my intention to pursue this matter any longe, Owek. Kiyimba’s statement has left me with no option but to seek justice and clear my name through all available legal avenues. This decision comes after long and deep thinking, and I hope it can be a step towards pursuing justice for many people and improving relations between the kingdom and the common person.”

Stories Continues after ad

Kabaka whisked away in the middle of Cindy nude performance at his birthday party celebrations

The Kabaka of Buganda celebrated his 62nd birthday yesterday in Buloba at Lubiri High School where he applauded his subjects for the contribution they have rendered to the kingdom.

He however, after Buloba, he and other invited guests drove to Mengo palace where he treated he visitors eats and drinks.

However, as the celebrations went well, an error was committed in inviting Sanyu Cinderrlla popularly known as Cindy to perform for the king. She and her crew jumped on stage in a attires that weren’t fit for the function and given that  Buganda culture where it is prohibitive for a lady or girl to appear in front of a king in nude attires of sorts. Uneasiness was noticed from the audience.

As Cinderella and her team performed while lifting their legs, the gathering became little irritated and exactly same time, the Kabaka’s sister appeared and went on stage to notify the king about him leaving the function. She went back and returned with soldier and the Kabaka, Nabagereka, Vice President Edward Sekandi plus Katikiro, Peter Mayiga were whisked away as security chased Cindy and her dancers.

This is not the first time such incident is happening as last year at the same venue and marking the Kabaka’s 61st birthday, another musician Winnie Nwagi did exactly what Cindy did but at the time, the Kabaka wasn’t whisked away but instead, his sister who acts as Principal Secretary confronted Katikiro Mayiga why he allowed such ‘naked’ girls to perform at the king’s birthday. It took the intervention of the king himself to cool the tempers.

Watch Video below

Stories Continues after ad