Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
18.6 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 1909

JSC closes in on DCJ Kavuma

RETIRING? Deputy Chief Justice and Head of the Court of Appeal Justice Steven Kavuma

The Judicial Service Commission (JSC) is in the process of replacing 23 judges that are soon retiring, including the Deputy Chief Justice Steven Kavuma.

In a letter written Monday and addressed to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), the JSC says the resolution to fill the vacant positions was reached at their sixth meeting held on March 29, with the position of the head of the Court of Appeal and Constitutional Court falling vacant on September 29 this year.

The other positions to be filled include two in the Supreme Court, four in the Court of Appeal and sixteen in the High Court.

The Constitution requires a judge of the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, which also sits as the Constitutional Court, to retire at 70 years while a judge of the High Court retires on turning 65 years.

it is alleged that Justice Kavuma tried change his age just months to the end of his public legal career but the application was met with stiff resistance from both the public, the JSC and the Ministry of Public Service.

However, a family member told this Website that what is referred to as changing his age is a battle for his replacement within the Judiciary where some of his colleagues plotted on how to make it hard for him should he be considered for an extension of his stay as the number two in the judiciary.

Other judges set to retire are Augustine Nshimye Sebuturo , judge of the Supreme Court; Justice Akiiki-Kiiza (High Court), Justice Ezekiel Muhanguzi, (Judge of the International Crimes Division of the High Court), Justice Elizabeth Nahamya (International Crimes Division of the High Court) and Justice Jotham Tumwesigye of the Supreme Court.

Stories Continues after ad

Suspected anti-Kagame Briton arrested in Rwanda back to the UK

REUNITED: Violette Uwamahoro with her family in the UK.

A pregnant British woman from Leeds who was arrested in Rwanda on suspicion of plotting to undermine President Paul Kagame is back in the UK.

Violette Uwamahoro was granted bail last month by a court which ruled that her detention over charges of spreading state secrets was not warranted.

Her arrest while in Rwanda for a family funeral caused an uproar, with rights groups calling for her release.

Her family wanted the UK to intervene, saying she faced an ‘unfair’ trial.

It is unclear whether her return to Britain was facilitated by the British.

A spokesperson for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said last month that consular staff in Kigali were in touch with local authorities over Mrs Uwamahoro’s detention.

On March 27, the Leeds youth worker appeared in court in Rwanda’s capital Kigali, where her lawyers argued for her release.

The judge decided there was no evidence which suggested the expectant mother should remain in detention, ordering her release on bail.

Mrs Uwamahoro’s husband Faustin Rukundo, who lives in exile in the UK, was adamant she was being victimised for his role as an opposition activist.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Kiir warned as UK labels South Sudan killing ‘Genocide’

GENOCIDE IN SOUTH SUDAN: UK Secretary of State for International Development, Priti Patel

The United Kingdom has accused South Sudanese government of pursuing a ‘scorched-earth policy’, saying killings in South Sudan amount to genocide and called on African leaders to involve to end the carnages.

The announcement comes just two days after government troops and militias carried out targeted killings in Wau.

“There are massacres taking place, people’s throats are being slit … villages are being burnt out, there’s a scorched-earth policy,” UK’s Secretary of State for International Development, Priti Patel, was quoted as saying.

“It is tribal, it is absolutely tribal, so on that basis it is genocide,” she declared.

Patel, who met South Sudanese President Kiir on Tuesday, revealed that she told Kiir to stop aid blockage and accused Juba of using food as a weapon of war. She warned that ‘the international community will undertake consequences’ if Kiir’s refuses to stop the blockage.

Patel also blasted African leaders for not doing enough to pressure Kiir’s government.

“Why are they not standing up for the people that are being massacred … who are their fellow African brothers and sisters? African heads of state … they need to do a lot more and they should not just rely on others in the international community,” she protested.

Reports of targeted killings have risen this year after South Sudanese government has been accused of pursuing ethnic killings in Equatoria region.

Britain is probably the first country to describe killings in South Sudan as genocide. The UN has previously warned of a ‘Rwanda-like genocide.’

 

Stories Continues after ad

Condition of woman hit by UMEME transformer improves

IMPROVING: Rose Muhinza recuperating in hospital

The health condition of Rose Muhinza, the lady who was rushed to hospital in critical condition after a UMEME transformer crashed her car has greatly improved.

Dewinton-road-transformer-accident

Taking a look at the car along Dewinton Road in which Ms Muhinga was driving at the time of the nasty accident, few believed the occupant of the car was still alive.

Even those at the scene who had witnessed her being removed from the wreckage of the car were worried she would not make it to hospital.

The scene of the horrible accident

Luckily, she made it despite having been taken when she was in a coma. We have since learnt that her condition has drastically improved and that she can now even speak.

Electricity distribution company Umeme linked the accident to vandalism. “Preliminary investigations indicate that the network may have been interfered with, causing the transformer structure to fall onto the vehicle. Comprehensive investigations are still underway to establish the actual cause of this unusual occurrence,” Umeme said in a statement.

Muhinza’s son Richard Kigozi, who rushed to the scene following the accident, said his mother had left him at the nearby Walusimbi’s Garage, only to learn minutes later that she was involved in an accident.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Motorists warned ahead of Kabaka’s birthday celebrations

WARNED MOTORISTS: KMP traffic Commander Norman Musinga

Kampala metropolitan traffic commander Norman Musinga has warned reckless drivers ahead of Kabaka Ronald Muwenda Mutebi’s birthday celebrations.

The Buganda kingdom will be celebrating the Kabaka’s 62nd birthday tomorrow at Lubiri High School Bulooba campus, and addressing the media at Central Police Station, Musinga advised motorists to adhere to the changes made and urged them not to park on the roadsides. According to the police directive, Bulooba town council will be accessed by VIPS with stickers on their vehicles, while the general public from Kampala will turn right and those from Mityana will turn left to Kiwumu trading center – Karambi Road – Bukasa roundabout to Sentema road – Lukwanga trading center – Nabukalu Road to the main venue.

“Vehicles parked alongside the roads will be towed away to the nearest police stations because parking will only be allowed at the church for VIPs and at the school for ordinary persons,” Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Musinga said.

“The celebrations of Kabaka’s birthday is a center of happiness this whole week, control yourselves because you may end up in police cells,” Musinga warned.

Stories Continues after ad

IGG office cannot force Kabafunzaki to step aside – Mulyagonja

FORMER MINISTER: Herbert Kabafunzaki with the 'bribe' money

The Inspector General of Government (IGG) has said that labour state minister Herbert Kabafunzaki is still a member of cabinet unless the appointing authority, President Yoweri Museveni, thinks otherwise.

Justice Mulyagonja, who was responding to a query as to whether her office can order the minister Kabafunzaki to step aside pending the resolution of a bribery case against him said the minister was a political leader and ‘not a public servant’.

“They (political appointees and public servants) are not bound by the same regulations,” she said in an interview earlier today, adding that the condition for one to step aside to pave the way for investigations only applies to civil servants.

Minister Kabafunzaki was earlier today granted a cash and non-cash bail of Shs50 million, respectively, by the anti-corruption court chief magistrate Agnes Alum.

This followed Kabafunzaki’s arrest on Saturday for allegedly soliciting a Shs30 million bribe from AYA Group Chairman Muhammad Hamid.

Stories Continues after ad

Over 350 SMEs to benefit from KCB Shs38b loan facility

Over three hundred and eighty small and medium scale enterprises are set to benefit from easy access to lending facilities from Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) Uganda after the bank got an extended 10M euros (Shs 38b) loan facility from the European Investment Bank (EIB).

The credit line will be available to sectors across all the SMEs with the exception of areas such as tobacco, military equipment and mining.

Mathias Muhimbisa, the Executive Director KCB Bank Uganda said that SMEs will now have access to loans ranging from Shs50m to Shs1bn to fund expansion of their business in terms of additional projects.

“Small  and Medium Enterprises will benefit from the reduced interest rate for fairly long term borrowing of 5-7 years and tailor made SME workshops covering the vital must-knows of SME management.”

According to the bank, SMEs across the country will benefit with an average loan limit of Shs100 Million.

“This therefore extends our current foot print across the SME sector as we avail the much-needed funding to the segment to ensure economic growth,” noted Muhimbisa.

In a statement from the EIB, Catherine Collin, Regional Representative of the European Investment Bank in East Africa and Robert Schofield, responsible for European Investment Bank lending for small and medium sized companies throughout East Africa highlighted the “crucial role of entrepreneurs to create jobs, improve lives and ensure sustainable long-term economic growth.”

The statement confirmed the EIB extending its support to companies in East Africa through a EUR 250 million credit facility to be channeled through local banks. KCB bank is the biggest conduit of the funds handling Sh108.4 billion to be disbursed to entrepreneurs in Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda.

Lack of long term Uganda Shilling funding is one of the challenges the leasing industry in Uganda is facing which, coupled with high interest rates has hampered the growth of SMEs in the country.

“This funding addresses this challenge to some extent given that it’s a 5 to 7-year facility and drawn in local currency,” noted Muhimbisa, adding: “There is definitely more need for long term funding in local currency which is necessary to stimulate the economy in terms of longer term infrastructure and value adding projects that can bring about economic transformation.”

 

Stories Continues after ad

Minister Kabafunzaki granted bail

GRANTED BAIL: Minister Herbert Kabafunzaki

The State Minister for Labour Herbert Kabafunzaki has been granted bail by anti-corruption court chief magistrate Agnes Alum.

Kabafunzaki, who appeared before the same court yesterday, was charged with corruption, which he denied. This follows his arrest on Saturday for allegedly soliciting a Shs5 million bribe from AYA Group Chairman Muhammad Hamid.

But through his lawyer Kenneth Muhangi, the Minister was granted cash bail of 50 million and a non-cash bail of an equal amount.

He is also required to report to court every week and handed in his Diplomatic Passport and a land title.

His co-accused, Brian Mugabo pleaded guilty and was charged with corruption and for soliciting Shs15m to ‘kill’ the case against Hamid.

Mugabo admitted hiding Shs5m which had been ‘accepted’ by Minister Kabafunzaki, and added that ‘everything stated by prosecution is true’.

Stories Continues after ad

Bribery is a shared vice – Minister Kasaija

CASTIGATES BRIBERY: Finance Minister Matia Kasaija addressing participants at the UDN - organised debate

In the wake of the arrest of Minister Herbert Kabafunzaki for allegedly taking a bribe, a senior cabinet colleague has come out to condemn the vice.

Last Saturday Labour State Minister Kabafunzaki was arrested by police and officers from the Special Forces Command (SFC) for allegedly taking a Shs5m bribe from the Aya Group Managing Director Muhammad Aya, to reportedly forestall sexual harassment allegations made against him.

And speaking at the opening ceremony of the Uganda Debt Network debate at Hotel Africana, Finance Minister Matia Kasaija said culpability for bribery is a shared vice.

“We are public servants, we ministers are shepherds, why do you bribe us, if you are duly qualified use the right way, the right way is not through bribery,” minister Kasaija said, adding: “the blame is shared by both the one giving and the other taking the bribe.

The Minister also wondered how youthful and junior public servants were quickly amassing wealth.

“I have never earned a billion shillings in the government yet this is my third time being a minister; where do those youth get all the money to construct houses worth billions,” Kasaija wondered.

Turning to government borrowing, the minister said the public debt currently stands at about 38 per cent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

He called for better understanding and appreciation of government policies by public sector employees, saying most government undertakings including remuneration are actualized.

“The issue of concern should be how much are we borrowing, and what the borrowed money does,” he said, adding: “I usually advise my fellow public servants that let us be patient, if we work hard and expand the growth and development rates the issue of salary increment will also be considered.”

The Minister also said that two trillion shillings, about 14 per cent of the GDP, will be used to service the domestic debt in the next financial year.

 

 

Stories Continues after ad

Kiir calls for clam in Wau after killing of SPLA senior officers

CALLED FOR CALM IN WAU: President Salva Kiir

President Salva Kiir has urged the people of Wau to remain calm after two senior army officers, Brig. Gen. Peter Par and director of logistics, Abraham Bol Chut Dhuol, were killed. Their murders sparked tension and spread conflict in the residential areas of Wau.

President Kiir called for the deployment of additional forces to provide an adequate protection to the civilians, along with ensuring the safety of properties in the area.

According to officials in the President’s Office, the south Sudanese leader has called on the residents of Wau to act in accordance with the laws of the country, by exercising self-restraint and not attack civilians.

Meanwhile, the Political Bureau of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM), convened an emergency security meeting where the President urged the citizens of Wau to refrain from further violence and revenge.

The leaders called on those involved in causing mayhem in town to leave the matter to the government. The leadership was chaired by President Kiir in his capacity as the chairman of the SPLM, with majority members in parliament, cabinet, judiciary and in the army in areas under its control in the country.

Jemma Nunu Kuma, the acting Secretary General of the SPLM, said the Political Bureau condemned the events that took in Wau and rebel attacks on their positions around the town. Kuma pointed out that President urged the unity government to take urgent measures in restoring peace and stability in Wau and its surrounding areas.

The killing started on Monday morning after the fighting spread to Wau. Several eyewitnesses reported that government-aligned militiamen were targeting local residents based on their ethnicity in residential areas of Wau.

The violence started on Sunday after an ambush of government forces near Wau, where two senior army generals were killed. The latest reports from Wau indicated that more than 10 civilians were confirmed dead after a militia attack on Monday.

Heavy gunfire continued to be heard in Wau on Tuesday, as civilians deserted the town. The displaced civilians say that armed tribal militiamen from President Kiir’s ethnic Dinka backed by the government troops were attacking civilian settlements in the town, moving from house to house, killing whoever they believed was an opposition supporter.

 

Stories Continues after ad