Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
18.5 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 2076

Cranes promoter Balaam loses son to cancer on ‘epic battle day’

RIP: Jonathan Tumusiime Amooti, events promoter Balaam Barugahara's son who succumbed to cancer yesterday.

For the thousands of football fans across Uganda Sunday September 4 will be a day to remember; the Uganda national football team the Uganda Cranes qualified for the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) after a 39 year jinx.

However, the same day will always remain etched in the memory of events promoter, Balaam Barugahara, who lost his only son Jonathan Tumusiime Amooti, while the match his father had relentlessly promoted, was underway.

Balaam’s company was at the forefront of rallying Ugandans to attend the match between the Cranes and the Comoros national team played at Namboole in large numbers, which the fans did.

However, little did they know that the man behind the huge attendance was bereaved: four-year old Jonathan has been battling cancer and had been undergoing treatment in India.

However, it turned out his case was more complicated than the hospital in India could handle, and doctors there had referred young boy to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Massachusetts, USA.

“We secured for him (a place for treatment) in America yesterday. He couldn’t reach here! After a long battle in India I believe it’s the Lord who gives and takes so let’s take heart and his soul rest in peace,” said Balaam as he announced the death of his son.

Meanwhile, burial arrangements are already underway. There will be a vigil tonight at Balaam’s home in Minister’s Village Ntinda, followed by a requiem mass tomorrow at St. Charles Lwanga Church, Ntinda at 11am. Burial will take place at Nakasajja on Gayaza Road at 2pm.

“Let’s celebrate his life together. I’m strong as always. Rest in peace master Jonathan Tumusiime Amooti. I will miss you forever; you are irreplaceable master. I will continue sharing your love with children in same cancer condition,” Balaam said.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Obese people, smokers to be barred from routine operations in UK – officials

People suffering from obesity and smokers could be denied basic operations across the UK’s National Health Service (NHS), according to health officials in North Yorkshire.

Patients with a BMI (body mass index, weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared) above 30 will be refused most operations for up to a year. The new rules may be applied to hip and knee operations, which are two of the most common surgeries carried out by the NHS.

If the patients lose 10 percent of their weight, the operations could be allowed to take place more quickly, officials added.

Smokers who refuse to kick the habit will be denied operations for six months, but may get to the waiting list earlier – by proving that they had quit smoking and had gone without cigarettes for at least eight weeks.

obessy

 

A statement from the Vale of York Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), cited by the UK media, has blamed “severe pressure” for their latest actions.

“Hospitals are being warned they will not be paid for surgery if they carry out operations on obese patients who are not exempt from the policy. This work will help to ensure that we get the very best value from the NHS and not exceed our resources or risk the ability of the NHS being there when people really need it.”

The ban will not be applied to cancer patients, and those with life-threatening conditions.

Nevertheless, experts say the main reason behind the move is not about the authorities wanting the public to live a healthier lifestyle, but rather it is a desperate attempt to cut expenses.

The Royal College of Surgeons slammed the move as the “most severe the modern NHS has ever seen.”

Clare Marx, the institution’s president, heavily criticized the step, and said it could lead to catastrophic consequences

“Leaving patients waiting in pain for treatment longer than is clinically necessary cannot be accepted. In the last month alone, the Royal College of Surgeons has learnt of at least three clinical commissioning groups that are planning to introduce policies that deny or delay patients’ access to surgery as a means to cut spending,” she told the Telegraph.

“At this rate we may see brutal service reductions becoming the norm, rather than just being exceptions.”

Chris Hopson, the head of NHS Providers, which is responsible for acute care, ambulance and community services, told The Telegraph, “I think we are going to see more and more decisions like this.”

“It’s the only way providers are going to be able to balance their books, and in a way you have to applaud their honesty. You can see why they’re doing this – the service is bursting at the seams, he added.

This latest step by the health officials in North Yorkshire is not the first wake-up call for the health care funding in the UK.

Last month, St Helens CCG in Merseyside said it could temporarily halt all non-essential hospital referrals by GPs due to financial issues.

Over the past few years, being overweight has prevented patients in Hertfordshire, the North West and London from undergoing operations, the Telegraph reported.

In March, the NHS came under fire from a Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report saying that the service’s budgets in England would face a £22 billion ($31.1 billion) “black hole, while the authorities have not been able to provide a coherent plan to cope with the “spiralling deficits before 2021.

 

Stories Continues after ad

First Lady to grace Uganda-Comoros match

Education and Sports Minister, Janet Museveni.

The First Lady, Janet Museveni will attend tomorrow’s match between Uganda Cranes and Comoros.

This will be her first match to attend as Minister of Education and Sport. Although President Yoweri Museveni was expected to grace the decisive game, it has been revealed that the head of state will be attending to other national duties.

Senior Presidential Press Secretary, Don Wanyama confirmed the First Lady’s attendance. “It is true she will be making it to Namboole to watch the match. I also appeal to fellow country men and women to come and support our team”

Tomorrow’s game will determine whether Uganda will go through to qualify for African Cup of Nations or not. Uganda last featured in the continental game in 1978 where the cranes were eliminated at finals when Ghana beat Uganda 2-0.

Meanwhile the Federation of Uganda Foot Association (FUFA) boss Eng. Moses Magogo has promised that should the cranes team outshine Comoros tomorrow and qualify, each player will be rewarded with US$10,000.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Sad! Young man attempts suicide at Mabirizi Complex

Before the leap

A young man has attempted suicide at Mabirizi Complex this afternoon. The unidentified man threw himself down from the rooftop of the multiple-story building on Kampala Road. He landed on the roof of an parked Ipsum and corpse later slide to the ground.

The jump attracted crowds around the young man whose body was covered in blood. This follows a recent incident of suicide at the nearby Mutaasa Kafeero building where another similar incident took place with the deceased telling onlookers that he had several economic problems. This is not the first incident of this kind at Mabirizi Complex.

What shocked most people is that the man actually survived and did not succumb to the jump. He was rushed to hospital with severe injuries and he is currently undergoing treatment.

Below are some disturbing photos showing how the young man attempted to end his dear life.

Before the leap
Before the leap

Mabirizi-suicide4 (1) Mabirizi-suicide (1)

A crowd of people gathered around the deceased
A crowd of people gathered around the deceased

The cause for the suicide  attempt is unclear at the moment but will update you as the story develops. 

Photo Credit: Internet & Social Media

Stories Continues after ad

Museveni to attend Otafiire’s thanksgiving

President YK Museveni seen here decorating his longtime minister, Gen. Otafiire.

President Yoweri Museveni will tomorrow attend a thanksgiving ceremony for Justice and Constitutional Affairs Minister, Maj. Gen. Kahinda Otafiire.

The ceremony that is slated to take place at Gen. Otafiire’s country home at Kasheshero in Mitooma district will be presided over by the religious leader from Mbarara Archdiocese and West Ankole Diocese. EagleOnline has learnt that community invited the President to officiate at the function. Otafiire who is not known to be a committed religious person is celebrating his political journey since the FRONASA times.

Gen. Otafiire is among the few remaining Front for National Salvation (FRONASA) fighters still alive and President Museveni will attend as both the president and longtime comrade to Otafiire.

Otafiire whose FRONASA number is R0 014 and later became the chief political commissar throughout the five-year bush war  has been instrumental in the current establishment. He has held different high government dockets. Although he lost in the National Resistance Movement (NRM) party internal elections and later on contested as independent for Ruhinda South constituency but lost to Donozio Kahonda, was reappointed by President Museveni as Justice and Constitutional Affairs Minister.

Stories Continues after ad

Snapped: South Africans officially unveil Hamis Kiiza

Free State Stars have officially unveiled striker Hamis ‘Diego Kizza’ after his departure from Tanzania’s Simba.

The Nalubale raised ace has joined the South African club on a permanent deal (two years) as he looks to get some Cranes game time under his belt.

The Uganda international was being chased by the likes Orlando Pirates, Zesco of Zambia, Kenya’s Gor Mahia and Proline of Uganda but opted to join new French manager Denis Lavagne’s side.

READ MORE: Hamis Kiiza close to choosing promoted Proline

And the club have now officially unveiled him as a Ea Lla Koto player alongside former South African goalkeepr goalkeeper Thela Ngobeni, former Barcelona trainee Ella Ken Armand, and Kenyan defender Joseph Okumu all signed on the final day.

Good luck Kiiza

Stories Continues after ad

NRM’s Okabe thrown out of Parliament

LOST PETITION: Former Kampala Resident City Commissioner (RCC) Aisha Kabanda.

The High Court in Soroti has thrown out Serere County Member of Parliament Patrick Okabe.

Okabe, a member of the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) party was thrown out over non-compliance with electoral rules and lack of the requisite academic documents.

In a judgment delivered early today by Justice Billy Kainamura, it was established that Okabe used different names on his academic papers iwhile at Ayer in Senior Four. He was then referred to as Ocen Oliba Patrick, while during nominations he used the names Patrick Okabe.

The mismatch raised queries since there was no deed poll.

Further in his ruling Justice Kainamura said the Electoral Commission disenfranchised the petitioner, Joseph Linos Opio of the Uganda Peoples Congress, by not including his name on the ballot paper.

He othen ordered the EC to pay two thirds of the costs while Okabe was ordered to pay the remaining part of the costs to Opio.

Okabe had been sued jointly with the Electoral Commission (EC).Meanwhile, the NRM party has also lost an election petition battle in central Uganda, after court threw out Hajjati Aisha Kabanda’s petition challenging the elected Woman MP for Butambala.

Kabanda, a former Kampala Resident City Commissioner (RCC), had challenged the election of Lydia Daphine Mirembe as the Butambala Woman MP, accusing the EC of refusing to conduct a voter recount yet Mirembe had defeated her by only 67 votes.

 

But in a court ruling delivered Friday, the petition was thrown out, with the judge saying her petition was ‘full of lies’.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Former ESO boss appointed Ambassador

The IGAD countries which Ugandan envoy will oversee.

The immediate former External Security Organisation (ESO) Director General (DG) Robert Masolo has been appointed Uganda’s envoy to the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).

Masolo, who was moved to the foreign ministry in June 2015, had served as ESO boss for about 9 years, having joined the spy agency immediately after leaving Makerere University.

At ESO Masolo was replaced by Joseph Ocwet, a former Ugandan Ambassador to the African Union.

IGAD brings together eight Horn and East African countries, and is instrumental in trying to find a solution to resolving the conflict in South Sudan.

Established in 1986, IGAD comprises of Uganda, Kenya, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea Sudan and South Sudan.

Stories Continues after ad

Move EAC Ministers to Arusha – EALA member implores regional governments

A section of legislators pay attention to the proceedings in the House.

A member of the East African Legislative Assembly wants to regions EAC ministers to move to Arusha, Tanzania, in order to make smooth operations of the bloc.

Contributing to debate on the audited Accounts of EAC for the period ended June 30, 2015, Judith Pareno noted that the report, for the better part, paints a negative picture of the Community.

“It means we are not planning well and are not adhering to the Financial Rules and Regulations. We need to have the Ministers of EAC resident in Arusha to do their political bit and supervisory bit and together with the Secretary General, they will let the Community move forward,” Hon Pareno said.

Hon Dr Kessy Nderakindo contributes to the debate on the Audited Accounts
Hon Dr Kessy Nderakindo contributes to the debate on the Audited Accounts

Earlier, her colleagues Dr Francois Xavier Kalinda (Rwanda) and Hon Bernard Mulengani (Uganda) had complained of irregular recruitment of staff and poor coordination of procurement meetings, respectively. According to Dr Kalinda, the irregular recruitment of staff at the EAC ‘was glaring’ and it presents legal challenges for both the concerned staff and the Community itself, while Hon Mulengani remarked that diligent internal controls within the Finance department were needed. He also stated that lack of quorum was hampering co-ordination of the set procurement meetings.

The Chair of the Committee on Accounts, Hon Jeremie Ngendakumana presents the report of the Committee on the Audited Accounts for the period ended 30th June 2015 to the House
The Chair of the Committee on Accounts, Hon Jeremie Ngendakumana presents the report of the Committee on the Audited Accounts for the period ended 30th June 2015 to the House

The report takes an incisive analysis of all the organs, institutions and projects of the EAC whose budget during the period under review was USD 125,643, 894.

Actual expenditure for the EAC totaled USD 81,349,607, pegged at 65%, while the outstanding VAT claimable from authorities in the Partner States is USD 847,183.
 

 

Stories Continues after ad

WFP to cut refugee food rations due to inadequate funding

South Sudan refugees getting food aid at Bidi Bidi camp in Yumbe District, Uganda. Photo credit/WFP/Henry Bongyerirwe

The World Food Programme (WFP) is to reduce food rations for refugees, most of them from South Sudan, who have been living in Uganda since July 2015, due to funding shortages.

Uganda is currently hosting more than half a million refugees, including up to 80,000 South Sudanese who have fled from escalating conflict back at home, according to the UN refugee agency, the UNCHR.

While in Uganda, the majority of these refugees rely heavily on WFP for food and nutrition assistance comprising cereals, pulses, fortified blended foods, vitamin-A fortified vegetable oil and iodized salt until they are able to provide for themselves using land that the Ugandan Government provides for their resettlement.

And once they are resettled, WFP provides them with monthly rations or cash assistance depending on location and eligibility criteria, and according to the humanitarian agency, it is expected that a new programme to provide food is expected to cost US$ 7 million per month.

“Uganda is hosting a record number of refugees, half a million,” the WFP Uganda Director Mike Sackett says, as he oversees the distribution of food rations at the Nyumanzi Refugees transit centre.

“They come from Burundi, DRC but particularly from South Sudan which has been affected by very serious fighting initially at the end of 2013 but even as recently as last month,” he adds.

“Since that time,” Sackett says, adding: “75,000 new people have come into Uganda and the World Food Programme is providing essential food rations to them.”

According to the WFP, this year the agency has received contributions from Canada, the European Commission (EC), Ireland, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States among other donors.

 

Stories Continues after ad