Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
18.5 C
Kampala
Stanbic Bank
Stanbic Bank
Home Blog Page 2075

Sheilah Gashumba finally in the USA

JOIINS 'THE BEAT': Producer Sheilah Gashumba

It ought to be remembered that Sheilah Gashumba’s efforts to make it to the US for the Uganda North America Association (UNAA) convention last year hit a snag after her employers, NTV, did not include her on the list of those to travel on the all-expenses paid trip.

At the time Sheilah had assured all and sundry that she was travelling to the US, and in a bid to avoid shame, changed her storyline and told friends that she stayed behind to give way for Eddy Kenzo, who was also travelling to the US.

She then said she was to use her air ticket this year. However, even when the UNAA convention came up again this year, her name was missing on NTV’s list of those to travel for the event.

It’s at this time that the Gashumbas started panicking.

They reportedly rushed to Turkish Airways, benching for a free flight to US in return for Facebook posts praising the airline.

To their disappointment the airline blantantly said ‘No’ to their proposal.

The two then reportedly rushed the same proposal to Ethiopian Airlines, who appear to have been convinced, making her dream finally came true a few days back.

She finally made it to the US albeit just a day away from the closure of the event and soon you may be seeing Facebook posts praising Ethiopian Airways on both her dad’s account and hers.

But while speaking to us, she denied having been rejected by Turkish Airways.

“It is instead me who rejected them,” Sheilah said.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Police to pass out Cadets

BURNING TYRES PROHIBITED: Police Spokesperson Andrew Felix Kaweesi.

President Yoweri Museveni will this Saturday September 10, grace the pass out of police Cadets and constables.

According to police spokesperson Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIGP) Andrew Felix Kaweesi, this year’s pass out will see 1226 Cadets and 2685 constables graduate, after undergoing a 9-month training at the Police Training School, Kabalye in Masindi district.

Responding to a question about the increase in the advertised number of cadets from 500 to the current 1226, AIGP Kaweesi said the force had taken the decision after realizing the need for their services and ability to cater for them.

Stories Continues after ad

Tubbaale brings Gulu town to a stand still

All roads led to Taks Centre in Gulu town on Saturday where Uganda Breweries Limited (UBL) hosted a Tubbaale celebration. The brewery delivered lots of entertainment and free beer as promised, with Coco Finger, Radio and Weasel as the main acts.

Gates opened at 6p.m. and numbers kept pouring in till late. Entrance was UGX5, 000 and came with a complimentary beer of choice. With each beer purchase, customers were given coupons that automatically entered them into the raffle to win different prizes.

DJ Ivan kept the crowd moving proving his mastery in music mixing on the main stage. In addition, the setup included a Guinness tent that featured video gaming and a Tusker tent with mini golf set up. The Bell tent had games such as pool and foosball.

Gulu’s Signature band were the first performance of the night doing renditions of popular reggae tunes notably Bob Marley’s No Woman No Cry and One Love. The lineup also featured other local entertainers such as Lucky, Small Pin Charger, Prisca and Smokey.

By the time Coco Finger hit the stage, the crowd was already fired up and receptive to his popular hits, My Miss, Don’t Break My Heart and others.

True to the rewards agenda of the Tubbaale promotion, lucky winners walked away with flat screen TVs and motor bikes. One motor bike and three flat screen TVs were given away in total. The motor bike was taken by a one, Philip Oketch Jonathan whose coupon was picked out of many in a raffle conducted by the Good Life crew.

Radio and Weasel hit the stage at mid night delivering an energetic performance for one and a half hours. The crowd went wild as they performed popular hits like Nyambura, Bread and Butter, Kankunganye, to mention but a few. As the Good Life crew bid the crowd good night, they could be heard chanting for more.

Stories Continues after ad

Cranes match tickets forged – FUFA says

HUGE TURN UP: The crowds that turned up at Mandela National Stadium for the Cranes- Comoros match. Photo credit/bigeye.ug

The national team, the Uganda Cranes yesterday put a smile on Ugandan fans’ faces after ace striker Farouk Miya scored the lone goal against the Comoros to ensure Uganda qualifies for AFCON for the first time in 38 years.

However, tens of thousands of fans that thronged Mandela National Stadium in Namboole left dejected after they failed to access the stadium, whose capacity of only 45.000 could not help accommodate the over 80.000 people who paid a minimum of Shs 25.000 to watch the epic match.

Perturbed by the seeming anxiety after many failed to enter the stadium, the police spokesperson Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIGP) Andrew Felix Kaweesi asked the Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) president Engineer Moses Magogo about the exact number or of tickets issued for sale to fans.

And today while addressing a press conference at police headquarters in Naguru, AIGP Kaweesi said that according to Eng Magogo, there was likelihood of counterfeit tickets on sale, a development that saw the affected crowd turn rowdy.

“I regretfully instructed the police and sister security agencies to cut off access into the stadium, this resulted into a mixed reaction from the fans that had attained tickets and wanted to enter the pitch,” Kaweesi told reporters.

According to Kaweesi, the fans fought police officers, broke the gate and even attempted to burn two police motorcycles, the latter a futile effort by the mob that resulted in the arrest of 64 suspects including a one Andrew Wasswa, who police believe was their cheerleader.

“Police highly regrets the incidences of those who were beaten during the scuffles but this was done in order to prevent a national catastrophe from happening,” Kaweesi said, before pledging that police and FUFA will introduce a ‘scientific approach’ through which the issuing of tickets to the Cranes games will be conducted.

AIGP Kaweesi also advised FUFA to introduce giant screens outside the stadium to cater for all those who fail to access the interior.

“FUFA should keep announcing to the public about the possible remaining space,” he added.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Zambia presidential election petition thrown out

Zambian President Edgar Lungu.Photo credit/bellanaija.com

Zambia’s Constitutional Court has thrown out opposition’s petition challenging President Edgar Lungu’s re-election, saying the 14-day deadline has passed.

The development now paves the way for Mr Lungu to be sworn in.

Earlier, a government official had said the Constitutional Court’s extension beyond a 14-day deadline of the opposition’s legal challenge to the vote, filed by rival Hakainde Hichilema, is illegal.

A law introduced in January says the winner of a presidential vote cannot be sworn in if their victory is contested in a court, and Lungu’s inauguration after the August 11 election was postponed after Hichilema challenged the result in court, saying the vote was rigged.

When his lawyers quit, Zambia’s Constitutional Court granted Hichilema an extension to hear and rule on the case beyond last Friday’s cut-off date to give him more time to present his case.

But the government source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the extension was in breach of Zambia’s laws.

“The constitutional provision … says that they cannot go beyond 14 days and hearing the case beyond last Friday means they will be hearing the case outside the constitutional provision,” he said.

A presidential spokesman said Lungu was consulting his lawyers over the court extension, and that the government would issue a statement today.

This is the second election petition in Africa to be thrown out this year, after the one in Uganda where the Supreme Court threw out the petition filed by former presidential aspirant John Patrick Amama Mbabazi, challenging the re-election of President Yoweri Museveni.

Stories Continues after ad

Museveni in Rwanda for two-day investment summit

President Yoweri Museveni arriving at the Uganda-Rwanda border.

President Yoweri Museveni has arrived in the Rwandan capital Kigali for a two-day investment summit, organized by the Global African Investment COMESA and the Government of Rwanda.

The Summit is being hosted by Rwandan President Paul Kagame and is aimed at promoting investment in a various sectors including education, ICT, development and the economy.

Mr Museveni, who traveled by road from Kabale to Kigali, was received at the Rwanda border by the Minister for Infrastructure Development James Musoni and other Rwandan officials and Uganda’s High Commissioner to Rwanda Richard Kabonero.

In Kigali, the President was received by Frank Mugambagye, Rwanda’s High Commissioner to Uganda, Uganda’s Minister for Information and ICT Frank Tumwebaze and State Minister for Investment, Evelyn Anite.

President Museveni has oftentimes reiterated his committment to developing foreign direct investment and international participation in the social and economic development of the Great Lakes region.

“This is the right time and Uganda the right place because of the big East African market and vast profitability opportunities now available,”

Museveni, who has consistently urged investors to regard Uganda and Africa as a crucial investment destination because of steadily increasing purchasing power and growing market, said.

The summit, which is focused on achieving tangible outcomes, will be attended by representatives from pension funds, asset management organizations, private equity and sovereign wealth funds, and will be a key factor in the growth of investment in the continent.

According to the 2016 Foreign Direct Investment (fDi) report, foreign investment into African projects increased by 0.6 per cent in 2015.

 

 

 

Stories Continues after ad

South Sudan ratifies EAC Treaty

South Sudanese 'enjoy' their first Independence day in 2011. The troubled country has now ratified the EAC Treaty, effectively becoming the 6th member country of the regional bloc. Photo credit/Upper Nile Times

South Sudan today officially becomes the sixth member of the East African Community (EAC), after a Special Envoy of President Salva Kiir submitted ‘instruments for ratification,’ at the EAC Headquarters in Arusha.

According to the EAC, Secretary General Ambassador Liberat Mfumukeko presided over the occasion of ‘Depositing of Instrument of Ratification on the accession to the treaty for the establishment of the EAC by the Republic of South Sudan.’

The world’s newest country was admitted to the regional bloc after the EAC Heads of State, at their 17 Ordinary Summit on March 2 this year, received a report from the Council of Ministers on the admission negotiations.

Then, the Summit designated Tanzanian President John Pombe Magufuli to sign the treaty with the GOSS on behalf of the other Presidents.

South Sudan, the newest member of the bloc has been embroiled in violence and conflict following the fallout between President Salva Kiir Mayardit and his political nemesis Riek Machar Teny.

The chaos the first broke out if December 2013 had simmered after a peace deal signed in Ethiopia in August 2015 saw Machar become First Vice President in a unity government formed in April this year. However, the peace was short-lived and on July 7, just two days shy of the country’s 5th Independence anniversary, war broke out between forces loyal to Kiir and Machar, forcing the latter to flee the country. He was also replaced as FVP by General Deng Gai, one of his former commanders.

Stories Continues after ad

South Sudan agrees to 4000 additional UN peacekeepers

ALL AGREE ON DEPLOYMENT: US Ambassador Samantha Power speaks in South Sudan on 4 September 2016, after the UN Security Council delegation draws a consent from the Transitional Government of Nation Unity to deploy a 4,000-strong regional protection force to improve security in and around the capital, Juba. UN Photo/UNMISS

South Sudan’s government has accepted the deployment of a 4,000-strong regional protection force recently mandated by the United Nations Security Council, in addition to the roughly 12,000 UN peacekeepers already serving in the African nation.

The announcement was contained in a joint communiqué issued at the end of a meeting between President Salva Kiir and the Security Council delegation.

“To improve the security situation, the Transitional Government of National Unity gave its consent to the deployment as part of UNMISS [UN Mission in South Sudan] of the Regional Protection Force” in line with Security Council resolution 2304 (2016), the communiqué read by the country’s Cabinet Affairs Minister, Martin Elia Lomoro, stated.

In early July, close to the fifth anniversary of the country’s independence, the youngest nation was plunged into fresh violence due to clashes between rival forces – the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA), loyal to President Kiir, and the SPLA in Opposition, backing former First Vice-President Riek Machar. That led to deaths and injuries, including those of several UNMISS peacekeepers. The development also undermined the implementation of the peace agreement between the political rivals in August 2015, which formally ended their differences.

The Council, as well as various senior UN officials, including UN Secretary Genera Ban Ki-moon, repeatedly spoke out against the violence, calling for calm and the safety of civilians.

The Security Council delegation is led by the Permanent Representatives of the Missions of Senegal and the United States, comprising representatives of all the other permanent and rotating member states of the 15-nation body.

“UNMISS has an impartial mandate to protect civilians, no matter who they are or where they are,” said United States Ambassador Samantha Power, the co-leader of the Council delegation, noting that consultations are under way to decide the modalities of deployment of the regional protection force.

According to the communiqué, the troop contributing countries, UNMISS and the Transitional Government have agreed to continue working on the modalities of deployment, and to build upon the consultations that have been taking place in recent months.

The Council has, in its recent resolution, expressed grave alarm over the security situation and the ongoing violence in the country, as well as the dire humanitarian consequences for the people of the country.

According to the Minister, the Transitional Government has committed to devising a plan on concrete steps to remove impediments to UNMISS’ ability to implement its mandate. This plan is expected by end of September 2016, he said, explaining that such steps would include a review of procedures related to movement of UNMISS and streamlining the bureaucratic processes.

UNMISS on the other hand has committed to inform the Government about the movements and of any other details.

The communiqué further states that the Transitional Government has expressed its readiness to implement Chapter 5 of the agreement on the resolution of the conflict in South Sudan, and would work with African Union in setting up the hybrid court for South Sudan.

 

 

Stories Continues after ad

Weasel, Samira split

Singer Douglas Mayanja aka Weasel

After successfully snatching the ‘wife’ of his younger brother Emmanuel Mayanja aka AK47 (RIP), musician Douglas Mayanja, popularly known as Weasel, was introduced by Samira to her parents in Jinja in 2014.

Among the people that accompanied him to Kyabazinga’s land was his elder brother, Jose Chameleone and his singing partner, Mowzey Radio.

It wasn’t long before the couple, set to wed in 2015, was blessed with a baby boy.

However, the wedding did not happen and the latest we are getting is that the ‘Tubula Eddagala’ singer, who is reported to be a father of over 25 kids, has dumped Samira and is instead dating her best friend, a one Sheila Komugisha.

Meanwhile, it is said that Samira has also already moved on and found Weasel’s replacement; she is reportedly dating a South Sudanese only identified as Adenga.

 

Stories Continues after ad

Ebonies’ performers ‘disappear’ in US after UNAA

THE EBONIES ON A TOUR OF RWANDA: While the group went to perform at the UNAA in the USA, six of them reportedly vanished in 'thin air'.

The 28th Uganda North American Association (UNAA) that has been ongoing in Boston, USA came to an end Sunday. Dramatically.

Apart from over 40 Ugandan MPs who had travelled for the event, was performing group the Ebonies that had gone to entertain the Ugandans at the event in Boston, USA. The other entertainers who travelled to perform for the over 120.000 Ugandans in North America include Bobi Wine, Isiah Katumwa and David Lutalo.

However, when the time came to return home after the convention, the Ebonies were six people less! We are informed that among those who escaped from the Ebonies camp in search of the ‘American Dream’ of a better life include three dancers: a boy and two girls; two technicians and one guitarist.

UNAA is the largest non-political formal association of Ugandans in the Diaspora, whose objectives are to ‘promote the social, cultural and economic development of the Ugandan Community in North America and beyond’.

Founded in 1988, the UNAA is a community organization for Ugandans and friends in North America, with a particular emphasis on stimulating and encouraging nationwide acquaintance and fellowship among members in North America, United Kingdom and Uganda.

 

 

Stories Continues after ad